PDA

View Full Version : Rio grande cichlid?? Help please??

Aquarius Maximus
12-27-2014, 05:46 PM
Please help with my question below the image!

At the November auction at Fernbank Science Center, I purchased six (6) one inch sized fish called "WHITE CICHLIDS or PLATINUM CICHLIDS". I can't find out much about them. It appears now that they are RIO GRANDE CICHLIDS sometimes called "Texas Cichlids" and they look very much like the picture (from Wikipedia) below:

Anyway, I now have six of these swimming happily in a 55 with some dither fish and a striped raphael catfish. The largest one is now almost 2 inches, and they appear healthy. Here is my question:

Can I place a 1.5 inch male electric blue ram in the tank with them? Will they fight? Or will they peacefully co-exist? Any thoughts will be appreciated!!

John Adams

York1
12-27-2014, 07:46 PM
In that big of a tank you should be ok. Tho cichlids can be very territorial I would keep a close eye on him for the first couple of days just to be safe.What works in theory doesn't always work in reality.

Demonfish
12-27-2014, 07:53 PM
I think they should be okay for awhile. But eventually the mouth size rule will apply. It if fits, its lunch.

mountainman36
12-28-2014, 10:11 AM
the texas cichlids will eventually reach better than 6 inches. the ram may get some mistreatment by then, so for now it will be fine, but at some point the texas will want to spawn and the ram will be an odd man out.
better get another tank for the ram!