PDA

View Full Version : Fry Food

jmcman831
01-23-2015, 10:13 AM
So I have at least 6 cory cat fry that have hatched and are swimming around in my breeders net right now. They are a couple days old at this point. I know I should feed them fry food but don't have the time or funds to get to a true aquarium store to get some brine shrimp or anything. What is the next best thing? I have been crushing and grinding up some flake food that I feed my fish and giving the fry that. Is there a way to "catch your own daphnia" or anything like that to get a colony going?

cswain123
01-23-2015, 12:54 PM
If you have some live plants in there that will help. If you can crush the stuff up into a powder they can probably eat it. It's got to be really fine though. You can get daphnia out of a pond usually but idk about this time of year.

mountainman36
01-23-2015, 02:12 PM
the fact that they are cory cats, bottom feeders means that the daphnia wont help much, they swim in the water column. It also means that anything like dry flake or powder will sink to the bottom and be good. if its a net breeder though, it may fall through, so the live plant idea from the other post is a really good one. you should be fine, just be sure to clean the tank more frequently and do more water changes than normal as a lot of the 'fry' food will go uneaten and will start to cause water quality problems

djramsey
01-26-2015, 12:06 PM
Be sure they have consumed their yolk sac before you start feeding. that can be 2-5 days depending on the temp. Let the water drip out of filter material will have some infusoria for them to eat.