PDA

View Full Version : Cyclling Question

fishingmadness
01-23-2015, 03:47 PM
I've been cycling my tank for some time now, using the fishless (ammonia adding) method, and just had a few questions. The ammonia is processed in 24 hours but nitrite levels are still high. Do I continue to add ammonia still? I'm assuming I have to in order to keep the (nitrite converting) bacteria alive right? Hope that question makes sense.

Erbskorn
01-23-2015, 08:34 PM
Assuming you are using pure Ammonia the general rule of thumb is 5 drops per 10 gallons of aquarium water until your Ammonia levels are processed and your Nitrite levels spike at which time you can decrease the addition of Ammonia by half daily until you see Nitrate begin to test. At this point do a 30-50% water change and you should be good to begin adding fish to your tank in reasonable numbers. Remember that as you add fish, their respiration and excretion along with the addition of fish food will be driving the Ammonia production in your tank. Its best to start slow and feed sparingly to give the nitrification process time to balance itself out. Good luck.

Demonfish
01-23-2015, 09:43 PM
Yes, keep adding ammonia until the nitrite also disappears. But cut back on adding ammonia if the nitrite levels are too high

fishingmadness
01-24-2015, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the reply! I did what you guys suggested and did only half of what I used to do. Been waiting so long for the tank to cycle and can't wait for it to finish!

gofish
01-26-2015, 08:49 AM
It sounds like you're almost to the finish line. However, I stopped cycling tanks years ago because I just don't have the time and there are easier options (IMHO) today Thanks to modern science, there are dormant bacterial products on the market that have isolated nitrifying bacteria (Nitrosomonas, Nitrobacter) in the correct ratios for a cycled tank. Now I just add a bacterial seed starter, something like Seachem's Stability or FritZyme 7, and then add my fish. I do this with all my tanks, even my pond, and haven't had any new tank/pond issues. I keep my bacteria in my fishroom refrigerator, but the bottle just recommends a cool, dark place and not to freeze.

caricell
01-26-2015, 04:41 PM
I do the same, Brian. Haven't cycled a tank in years. Fresh water, some PRIME and some Stability, (and temperture match) and in they go!

larry

It sounds like you're almost to the finish line. However, I stopped cycling tanks years ago because I just don't have the time and there are easier options (IMHO) today Thanks to modern science, there are dormant bacterial products on the market that have isolated nitrifying bacteria (Nitrosomonas, Nitrobacter) in the correct ratios for a cycled tank. Now I just add a bacterial seed starter, something like Seachem's Stability or FritZyme 7, and then add my fish. I do this with all my tanks, even my pond, and haven't had any new tank/pond issues. I keep my bacteria in my fishroom refrigerator, but the bottle just recommends a cool, dark place and not to freeze.

Demonfish
01-26-2015, 05:39 PM
I just move sponge filters to new tanks. You only need to "cycle" your first tank. But its a great way to learn to process and the signs and smells of a wc quality issue before you start killing fish.