PDA

View Full Version : Fertilizer suggestions please!

Briemesm
01-28-2015, 12:27 PM
Looking for fertilizer suggestions for the beginner planted aquarium lover.

liquid, powder, tablets?
favorite brand?
where to buy?

We currently have a 5 G with a HOB filter, planted with:
crinum calamistratum
Anubias nana
Hygrophila corymbosa stricta
Cryptocoryne wendtii "green"
and a moss ball

and housing a betta, a silver tipped tetra, 2 albino corys, 1 mystery snail and 5 ghost shrimp. Looking to plant a 10 G soon primarily for a shrimp colony so want to make sure it's super safe for inverts. TIA

kwseiders
01-30-2015, 09:19 AM
Unless you have high lighting and/or are adding cO2 to the tank, I don't see the need for fertilizer. Those plants are easy growers, and the nutrients from the fish and the food you feed the fish are probably enough to keep them going without any additional fertilizers. I don't usually add any fertilizer to any of my tanks that don't have cO2 added to them.

Briemesm
01-30-2015, 12:22 PM
That's a relief to hear about this tank for sure! We have another tank in the works with hopefully similar easy plants (dwarf baby tears, Anubias petite nana, dwarf hair grass, Java fern). Think this will equally be okay?

When we we do cross into the land of CO2, any recommended starting points for fertilizers? Thanks for your insight! I really appreciate it.

Pierre
01-30-2015, 04:16 PM
Try this fertilizer, I've been using for 2 years and works well for me and super cheap: http://selectaquatics.com/Plant%20Fertilizer.htm
Much easier than to do mixing / dosing.

Pierre