PDA

View Full Version : "Gold Nugget" Pleco?

joleymon
02-03-2015, 12:04 PM
Can someone tell me what kind of pleco this is?

aXio
02-03-2015, 12:17 PM
Not a gold nugget unfortunately. It looks like a common Leopard Pleco to me. Very similar to a regular common pleco. Get almost as large as well. Those can get almost 2 feet in size. They often get mixed up with the regular common plecos. Great fish if you have a large enough tank to handle him. Most people keep them in small tanks like 55 gallon and the waste levels can get out of hand. He will need a tank 100 gallons or more when he gets larger.

RLHam3
02-03-2015, 02:01 PM
Not a gold nugget unfortunately. It looks like a common Leopard Pleco to me. Very similar to a regular common pleco. Get almost as large as well. Those can get almost 2 feet in size. They often get mixed up with the regular common plecos. Great fish if you have a large enough tank to handle him. Most people keep them in small tanks like 55 gallon and the waste levels can get out of hand. He will need a tank 100 gallons or more when he gets larger.

+1

its one of the larger species of "hypostomus". Treat it the same as a common. Where did it come from?

joleymon
02-03-2015, 04:41 PM
The spots are a metallic gold color is why I thought it might be a little more special.

Care to guess on an L# ?
Now with the new found knowledge of the size (8" now in a 40 gal tank), I think it should go on the for sale forum.
Any interest from either of you?:snicker:

He(?) came from Petsmart.

aXio
02-03-2015, 05:48 PM
The spots are a metallic gold color is why I thought it might be a little more special.

Care to guess on an L# ?
Now with the new found knowledge of the size (8" now in a 40 gal tank), I think it should go on the for sale forum.
Any interest from either of you?:snicker:

He(?) came from Petsmart.

Not sure if there is a L# for him. If it is a true Leopard then the species name would be... Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps. But now that RLHam3 mentioned it, it does looked like it can be a larger Hypostomus variety... which means it can get much larger then even a leopard.
Sorry I just don't have the longer term room for something of that size =/ My tanks are already packed out and I'm downsizing as it is.

Too be honest you won't get much money for him since he is just a variation of a common pleco essentially. But best of luck!

canoe
02-05-2015, 04:13 AM
I re-homed large plecos for a couple of members recently. They are enjoying life in my 125. I think I have room for one more.

RLHam3
02-05-2015, 12:21 PM
No L-number on this species. It was described before the L-system was made.

RLHam3
04-02-2015, 07:35 AM
I know this post is a bit older, but I was reading this article and it made me think of this post.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/?p=1244