PDA

View Full Version : Discus spawn surprise

Erbskorn
02-18-2015, 09:15 PM
I have had a pair of Stendker Discus split off from the rest of the group and spawn. I was totally unprepared for this. My goal was just to have a planted Discus tank with nice fish so I'm not keeping my fish in RO water or doing anything special for them other than weekly water changes as breeding has not been my goal. They have layed around 100 eggs and they are attending to them now for the past 24 hours. Has anyone ever successfully spawned Discus like this? The tank is a 210 gallon with 11 Discus all less than a year old. The balance of the fish in the tank are SAE's Ottos and 9 very juvenile Electric Blue Rams.

Larry Bugg
02-18-2015, 10:30 PM
It isn't very likely that you will have success in a community tank. Odds are they will be eaten either by the parents, other discus or other inhabitants. It takes about 54 hours for the eggs to hatch and become wigglers so it would be nice if they could keep them that long so you could at least confirm that you have a male and female and they are fertile. Then you have the option of pulling the pair out and putting them in their own breeding tank. What strains are they? Are they a good pairing from that stand point?

Erbskorn
02-18-2015, 11:47 PM
They are both Stendker Discus. One is a Blue Diamond and the other is a solid pale yellow. It was sold to me as a Discus Hans fish at the LFS but I didn't see that variety on his website.

Larry Bugg
02-19-2015, 12:19 AM
How about a picture? My only guess would be a Fire Red or Marlboro. Sometimes they end up being more orange than red. Hans doesn't have any yellows. If it is one of them then it is pigeon blood based and would not be a good pairing with a blue diamond. The fry would end up being very peppered.

RO definitely isn't necessary to breed domestic discus. Our water straight out of the tap is very good.

Erbskorn
02-19-2015, 01:02 AM
I bought it from Premiere Aquatics the day it came in from Discus Hans so I am trusting that it is a Discus Hans fish. It is definitely yellow. I'll shoot a pic of it tomorrow. My fish are at my work and not at home so will have to be tomorrow.

Erbskorn
02-19-2015, 04:07 AM
3825Here is the pic of the yellow stendker Discus

aXio
02-19-2015, 09:25 AM
I know that a little while ago we had a "Golden Dragon, Golden Sunrise" or something to that variety that came in from a customer. The fish was in with our discus Hans fish. Usually the customer trade-in discus we keep separate in the planted systems, but this was from a really good customer of ours and the discus was pretty much perfect so after QT we added it in with the Hans discus. Maybe there was a misunderstanding with whoever you worked with at the time because the Hans discus had just come in. Just me speculating of course. Even if this was the case it is still a beautiful fish!

This possibly could be that fish, or Larry is right sometimes we do get the pigeon blood and marlboro strains in pretty orange/yellow but they tend to grow out of it into more red colors.

Larry Bugg
02-19-2015, 09:57 AM
How big is it? Could be a dark angel maybe. I've seen them a little yellowish. Appears to be very clean with no peppering? Is there a blue tint to the anal and dorsal with no black? Send the pic to Hans and ask him.

Just saw what Jakub posted. That would be more likely.

Erbskorn
02-19-2015, 02:41 PM
Jacob you sold me the fish and it was marked Golden Dragon on the tank now that you jogged my memory....so I guess not a Discus Hans but still a cool fish. Larry, she is almost 5" and yes with a blue tint to the dorsal and anal fins with no black. I guess this makes one question it not being a good idea not to mix asian and german strains. The fry are going to be jihadest extremists......see what you have done Jakub? Still a cool fish!

mountainman36
02-19-2015, 04:33 PM
Jacob you sold me the fish and it was marked Golden Dragon on the tank now that you jogged my memory....so I guess not a Discus Hans but still a cool fish. Larry, she is almost 5" and yes with a blue tint to the dorsal and anal fins with no black. I guess this makes one question it not being a good idea not to mix asian and german strains. The fry are going to be jihadest extremists......see what you have done Jakub? Still a cool fish!

LOL. Organized jihadist no less...driving BMWs!! what have you done....

aXio
02-19-2015, 04:46 PM
bahahahah!

Larry Bugg
02-19-2015, 04:46 PM
Well there are those that say you shouldn't mix Asian and German and there are those that say no big deal. I am in the no big deal camp. I have both in my fish room and have mated the two together before.

It doesn't sound to me like this Golden Dragon is a pigeon based fish. It might actually make a very nice pairing with the Blue Diamond.

HN1
02-19-2015, 09:39 PM

Best laugh I've had all day.

Erbskorn
02-22-2015, 06:14 PM
The first set of eggs were gone after about 48 hours and the pair spawned again the very same day. Today I have a successful spawn of about 75 fry. They are venturing off the wall of the tank and the parents are spitting them back in place. It looks like they are all about to come of the wall in big numbers and attach to the Blue Diamond male as he has turned almost black.