PDA

View Full Version : filter not pumping water out

ndunn
02-21-2015, 01:42 PM
I have an api filstar Xp m canister filter. I have been working on this thing for 2 days now. The canister will fill up, but it doesn't pump water back out. Any solutulions? Our power was out for almost 3 days during the ice storm this week so I'm trying to get things back up and running, but the filter is not working. Help!!!

York1
02-21-2015, 01:48 PM
Can you tell if the impeller is actually moving when you plug it in? I would pull the top off and check the impeller and also check the return tube and make sure it is clear

gofish
02-21-2015, 08:09 PM
I have several Filstar XP filters. When this happens to me, I just, while the filter is running, release one of the lid hold down clamps enough to release the trapped air in the top of the filter and lock it back down immediately. It should start pumping. You might have to slightly lift the lid or release a couple of hold downs, but releasing one usually works.

joel03
03-02-2015, 08:31 PM
What I do is hook and incoming fill hose up to the intake very low pressure and force water through the canister pushing out the air bubbles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

canoe
03-03-2015, 06:15 AM
If you place the outflow hose below the filter, can you get water to siphon from the tank, through the filter and then through the outflow? If not, look for an obstruction. Last time my Eheim slowed to almost nothing I found snail shells were the problem. Biofilms can build up also, and obstruct the flow, making it difficult to expel any trapped air.