PDA

View Full Version : Plant ID

fishingmadness
03-01-2015, 06:16 PM
What plant is this? Having a hard time telling since there are numerous with a similar look. The plant is long enough to reach the top of my 30gallon and has made its way about halfway across the tank.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/01/7e1243f6f732279f2e72e6f1ff1cace4.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/01/7773653c122fb556fea4dcf3477f9f8f.jpg

The second picture is of one of them flowering. Please help. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cswain123
03-01-2015, 07:36 PM
Looks like a Val but bc of what looks like some kind of bulb I'd say a crinum of some sort

HN1
03-01-2015, 08:23 PM
I agree, but I'm almost thinking apon. Hopefully one of the "plant people" chime in.

gofish
03-02-2015, 10:36 AM
It looks like a Val to me. My guess would be
(http://imgkid.com/vallisneria-spiralis-tiger.shtml) Vallisneria spiralis 'Tiger'.

geotek
03-02-2015, 10:48 AM
The flower looks a lot like a Sagitarius flower and the foliage and root structure look very typical for Sag as well. I don't think that is an exposed bulb, it looks like exposed roots typical for a Sag, not to say it does belong to that genus, but I would at least consider the possibility. A better photo of the flower might be the easiest way to identify the plant.

aXio
03-03-2015, 09:28 AM
I agree that that isn't a bulb. Just root structure that looks like a bulb in the picture... but the OP could clarify that for us.

I think it is Vallisneria spiralis "Italian"

While sagittaria can get way longer then people realize it usually flops over after 6-7 inches as it can't keep itself upright. I was going to say Cypress Helfeiri at first but that doesn't have that "ribbed" look on the leaf. Vallisneria sends out flowers as well.

caricell
03-03-2015, 05:14 PM
Agreed it is some form of Vallisneria.

I agree that that isn't a bulb. Just root structure that looks like a bulb in the picture... but the OP could clarify that for us.

I think it is Vallisneria spiralis "Italian"

While sagittaria can get way longer then people realize it usually flops over after 6-7 inches as it can't keep itself upright. I was going to say Cypress Helfeiri at first but that doesn't have that "ribbed" look on the leaf. Vallisneria sends out flowers as well.

chevybow
03-03-2015, 06:19 PM
Val.............Donny

fishingmadness
03-03-2015, 07:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwseiders
03-05-2015, 12:27 PM
It looks like a Sagittaria to me, especially the flower. I have what I believe to be Sagittaria subulata, which in some tanks grow short and sweet, but I put one in the 125 once (thinking it would be a nice ground cover) and the leaves shot to the top of the tank, and when it flowered, they looked like Sagittaria subulata flowers. You can get great pictures of the flowers by searching for "sagittaria subulata flowers". When my Vals flowered, the stalks were different, more spiral in shape (hence vallisneria spiralis).

Roger
03-05-2015, 04:23 PM
Can you take a pic of a closeup of one leaf? The vein structure will give it away. In my gallery I have a pic of the different vein structures. Also, run your finger down the leaf, if it feels spiny it is Vallisneria. The spines can be seen with a magnifying glass, Sag will not have spines.