PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Suwanee, GA (south forsyth)

aubie96
03-04-2015, 12:21 PM
It might sound crazy for a newbie but I just migrated from a 5 gallon hex tank to a 60 gallon tank. My daughter's aquarium had this lone pleco (Stucky) who was way overgrown (a little over 6 inches) in that small tank. Figured I'd get a new bigger home to Stucky and some company too while I am at it. Ended up cycling the tank (yeah read up on that a bit too now) and it now runs with a heater and 2 Penguin 150 (biowheel) filters. Stucky now has 3 tiger barbs and a rainbow shark to keep company and they are getting along fine.

I do plan to add some live plants and other stuff to add character to the tank and give the fish a homely feel. As of now, its just a layer of gravel. This site has a lot of great information that I am reading up on and I look forward to going to one of the monthly meetups in the near future.

Besides this new hobby, I like digital photography and traveling with my wife and 2 kids.

Regards
Madhu

HN1
03-04-2015, 02:18 PM
Welcome to the forum Madhu! I'm in Forsyth (North) too and we have several other club members up in this area. Nice upgrade! Depending on the actual species, Stucky may out grow that tank too so you'll have a built in excuse to upgrade! Our club meeting is this Saturday at the Fernbank Science Center if you and the family are interested, we'd love to meet you. We meet around 1:30, have a speaker (this week it is on Native Georgia fish), and a mini-auction after the talk. Completely free to attend, including the Science Center before or afterwards.

ronv
03-04-2015, 03:32 PM
Does the "aubie" tag mean Auburn? If so "war eagle".

Demonfish
03-04-2015, 04:54 PM
Welcome. I'm not far from you.

aubie96
03-04-2015, 05:55 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

HN1 - If I can, I will come to the meeting.l this Saturday.

Ronv - wde. Good to see fellow auburn folks.

Demonfish - thanks. Any local sources for driftwood? I need some and was looking online but not sure of a reputable source.

Regards
Madhu

Demonfish
03-04-2015, 09:13 PM
Nearest FW LFS are Bubba's Pet Emporium on Jones Bridge and SEA on 141. Marine designs is all SW. Aviarium by Gwinett Mall is likely the next closest. Not sure about driftwood, tends to be pricey. There will be a very nice piece in the Spring Auction in Apr.

canoe
03-05-2015, 02:54 PM
The meetings are almost always interesting. It is a friendly bunch, and once the mini-auction starts the real fun begins.