View Full Version : Muriatic Acid

03-06-2015, 12:37 PM
Has anyone used Muriatic Acid to clean up old used tanks? I just bought a bunch of used tanks that are really in need of a deep cleaning. There are so many of them that using Vinegar and a razor blade to clean all of them is a huge undertaking. I'm thinking it may be easier to use Muriatic Acid and let them soak to remove the scum buildup and then let them soak in a solution of baking soda to neutralized what acid isn't rinsed. Thoughts?

03-06-2015, 12:48 PM
That's hydrochloric acid. It should eat up the lime scale and rinse clean. The key is not etching the glass, hurting the trim or harming yourself. I use lime-a-way which seems to be sulfamic acid now (used to be phosphoric). Concentration is key, but I'm not sure what you should aim for, maybe a pH of about 2

03-06-2015, 09:31 PM
Be careful where you apply these concentrated acids. They could damage the seals so I would avoid contact there. Also, I would use gloves and apply with a cloth rag. Do not use on acrylic tanks.

03-07-2015, 06:03 AM
Hydrochloric acid should not etch glass. I think that the standard silicone sealant is impervious too. Definitely use rubber gloves and wear old clothes that you can sacrifice.

03-08-2015, 04:08 PM
Hydrochloric will most definitely etch glass. I used to be glass blower in the scientific industry

03-08-2015, 06:20 PM
Typical labware (beakers, test tubes) are made of Pyrex glass, and do not react to hydrochloric acid (HCl). Muriatic acid from the hardware store is diluted HCl, but still quite dangerous to flesh and clothing. It's probably too weak to etch aquarium glass, especially if there is more accessible calcium with which to react. Try testing a small area, and don't leave it too long. Undiluted HCl - you may get some unwanted etching.

If you go with muriatic acid, I suggest goggles too.

03-09-2015, 07:49 AM
Feels that you will need a lot of acid if you choose the soaking solution. I do not believe that spraying the scum on the glass will 100% clean it and in the end you will still need to use a scrub sponge to finish the work. I would sock the tanks for one day maybe with bleach and then scrub. If you use muriatic acid, watch out for the fumes so you need to be doing outside with a fan.

03-11-2015, 04:16 PM
Your right Canoe , I was thinking of Hydrofluoric acid

03-12-2015, 09:23 AM
HF is very nasty. I remember that it even eats Pyrex glassware. I think you have to store it in Teflon or something.

03-13-2015, 02:00 PM
One drop on your skin can kill you . As your body can absorb it .

03-13-2015, 07:56 PM
Gosh you would think they wouldn't put in pool chemicals then or sell it at Home Depot either if one drop will kill you.