PDA

View Full Version : Trying Discus again

fish_guy
03-26-2015, 12:52 PM
I am in the process of setting up a planted discus tank.
The tank is a 120 with a 4'x2' foot print
I want to go planted with this tank.

Is everyone here mixing 50/50 tap to RO water?

I prefer to buy local.
Who are the good breeders in the Atlanta area?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Demonfish
03-26-2015, 04:29 PM
Have you measured your water? I understand that many of us on lake lanier/hootch water can use straight tap for discus.

Roger
03-26-2015, 04:31 PM
You do not need RO water, our tap water is fine for breeding discus.

fish_guy
03-26-2015, 04:32 PM
I have not measured it yet.
I am moving in a week so I was going to test the water at the new place

fish_guy
03-26-2015, 04:38 PM
I was looking at 50/50 more for cleaner water over softer water.
Any tap water i use will be carbon filtered and treated.
Having kept reef tanks for years I prefer RO water over anything

Larry Bugg
03-26-2015, 06:00 PM
What is your past history with discus?

There is absolutely no need for R/O water and discus in our area. Most of the water in the Atlanta area is ideal for Discus and we find that today's domestic discus do fine in just about any water. There are lots of discus being kept in fairly hard water with a PH in the 8's. The key is consistency.

Are you planning on raising out juvies or going with adults? If you are planning on growing out juvies then I would strongly suggest you think twice about the planted tank until they are young adults at least. Lot's of people try growing out discus in a planted tank but very few are successful at growing them out to their full potential. Most end up stunted or sick. Young discus need VERY clean water to grow properly, more so than any other fish I have kept and it is not just a matter of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. The issue is usually with dissolved organic compounds (DOC). These DOC's come from poop and left over food. In a planted tank it is extremely hard to keep all this cleaned out on a daily basis and these doc's lead to bacteria in the water that the young discus cannot handle.

You are more than welcome to come out to the house/fish room sometime and talk and look at some discus.

fish_guy
03-26-2015, 06:09 PM
Larry I tried them in Nashville a few times with no success.
But I always made the mistake of getting juveniles and not young adults.
This time I want to do young adults
And thanks for the offer.
I need to take you up on it

Larry Bugg
03-26-2015, 06:23 PM
Larry I tried them in Nashville a few times with no success.
But I always made the mistake of getting juveniles and not young adults.
This time I want to do young adults
And thanks for the offer.
I need to take you up on it

Going with young adults will make a HUGE difference, especially in a planted tank!! The problem this creates though is that it is hard to find local breeders that have them available. Most of us sell all that we breed in the 2" to 3" range. When you come out I can offer you some suggestions for sources.

fish_guy
03-26-2015, 06:25 PM
Thanks.
I do have a 75 reef ready I could grow them out in.
I just hate waiting that long lol

Demonfish
03-26-2015, 11:47 PM
There is some well water used in parts of Roswell and some places have bad pipes (ga tech), but most of the water around town is basically rain water, super soft and very clean.

canoe
03-27-2015, 04:30 PM
Heed Larry's advice. He'll probably be doing a presentation on the subject at a monthly meeting in the near future.

Another club member, searley, may have some young adults available.

joel03
04-11-2015, 09:46 PM
Not local ( New Jersey) but I have received amazing fish from "Discuss Madness"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk