PDA

View Full Version : Spray on sealer

joel03
04-10-2015, 06:05 PM
I have a giant cast iron fountain base that is rusting anyone recommend a spray on sealer like a rhino coat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demonfish
04-11-2015, 12:47 PM
I've used rustoleum primer (brown) on rusty fish tank stands

oxheart
04-11-2015, 02:48 PM
get a hand grinder with a wire brush . knock off what rust you can seal with a rust primer . Paint if you want it will help . I have many custom metal stands its what I do . I use rustoleum think I spelled that right.

joel03
04-11-2015, 08:23 PM
I need a coating for the inside with water to make it fish safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demonfish
04-12-2015, 03:00 PM
Acrylics and epoxies are good for this application, but they are usually paint on and may have adhesion issues even to primed metal. Krylon fusion is reputed to be fish safe, but I don't know about long-term water-proofness. I looked for pond paints and found this http://www.topsecretcoatings.com/cstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1495#details Expensive, but made for the task. Search for pond or fountain paints.

mountainman36
04-12-2015, 04:23 PM
i have a lot of experience with this with my pond business. most epoxy paints, and some rubber paints will work.
the issue is getting it to adhere to the surface you are painting. Most of them are designed for wood or plastic, or preferably concrete. im not sure about the metal.

Permaseal by sanitread is what we use...www.sanitread.com

either way you need to get all the rust off and then clean it really well. then clean it again. dry it really well, and then go for it. you will have to mix the two parts usually and then paint it on. All of it is expensive if you think about it per gallon, compared to regular paint, (which it most certainly is not) but as a waterproof coating for a pond its not really that bad...a comparable liner would be about the same in most situations.

Demonfish
04-12-2015, 09:28 PM
You might still want a layer of rusty metal primer to give the inside coating something to stick to.

mountainman36
04-13-2015, 06:48 PM
You might still want a layer of rusty metal primer to give the inside coating something to stick to.

i dont think so, i think the paint would adhere better to raw metal....i may be wrong

kellymm
04-17-2015, 02:15 PM
Get it sandblasted and powdercoated

kellymm
04-17-2015, 02:28 PM
Miller’s Powder Coating
Since 1985
Miller’s Powder Coating has been in business for over 25 years. Our commitment to our customers is quality and service. Professionalism is our motto.

We offer several services here at Miller’s Powder Coating.

Sandblasting: We have a complete blasting service with a booth large enough to blast an entire car or we can blast smaller items such as a patio chair or small parts.

Powder coating: We are capable of coating items as large as a car or frame or as small as nuts and bolts. No job is too big, No job is too small
Thank you for considering Miller’s Powder Coating Lilburn ga

Demonfish
04-17-2015, 04:30 PM
Not a bad idea. Powder coating is usually a baked-on epoxy that is first applied electrostatically and sand-blasting is much faster than brushing. Is that expensive? Once powder-coated you could paint it like a file cabinet or refrigerator.

The rusty metal primer bonds chemically to rust and keeps it from flaking off. If you can get down to bare metal, you likely don't need it, but if you have a layer of rust left after brushing, primer should hold it together.