PDA

View Full Version : Returning to GA

Samong
04-19-2015, 09:01 AM
Now granted, the last time I lived here I was four...hahaha. My husband accepted a job offer from Georgia Tech, so we are moving to the NE Atlanta area! We'll actually move in late July, but there's no reason I can't get started learning about the Georgia aquaria community. : )

I've been into aquaria for about 11-12 years and it all started with betta fish. I like to keep a variety of community species now, but bettas are still the centerpiece of my projects. I'm not looking forward to breaking down and moving my 75, but I AM looking forward to FINALLY having enough room to have some options! I won't ramble too much, but I'm interested in larger tanks, trying a higher tech plant setup, and learning to spawn something intentionally instead of accidentally getting more bristlenose plecos. Having a club/association close enough to actually attend the meetings is exciting!

aXio
04-19-2015, 05:11 PM
Welcome to our club!!!

CLINT404
04-21-2015, 04:57 PM
I have not been involved with this community for very long, but there seems to be a good support network in place for whatever need may arise related to the hobby. Depending on where you land in NE GA, the club meetings take place on the east side of Atlanta so its a pretty easy drive. They run a small auction at the meetings end and you can pick up nice locally grown and bred specimens for better than reasonable prices. Good luck on your move and welcome to the club!

canoe
04-21-2015, 10:30 PM
Welcome. Our club meetings are a great place to exchange ideas, sell or buy fish, learn some interesting details related to the hobby, and have more than a few laughs. We usually conduct general business which is short, have an informational program featuring a speaker or panel, and end with a mini-auction for those who wish to stay. The place is Fernbank Science Center, which is close to but different than the Fernbank Museum. If you have young children, Fernbank has some nice exhibits and critters to keep them occupied for a while.

Lastly, membership in the forum is free, but we hope that folks will become members of the club. An individual is $20, a family is $25 per year. There are benefits, including a better split with the club at the auctions. Paid membership also gets you the monthly newsletter, which is great to read, and full of good info.