PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful discovery while stripping my Astatilapia Calliptera

Tangfan
04-20-2015, 12:48 PM
Last night after the auction, I went home and stripped my A. Calliptera and discovered 4 Synodontis Multipuctatus fry in the batch. I knew I had both males and females of the Multis just hadn't been able to get them to breed.

Will have to keep a close eye on future broods from that tank.

CLINT404
04-21-2015, 04:09 PM
Very cool, didn't realize they would harbor stow aways like that.

Tangfan
04-21-2015, 06:55 PM
I used to breed Multis about 10 years back before I took a break from the hobby. Multis are referred to as the cuckoo cat since they will use mouthbrooders to raise the chances of their young surviving. I used use Hap tiawan reefs as the carrier. Wasn't sure the A.calliptera w such small eggs would work. Obviously they did.

mountainman36
04-21-2015, 07:56 PM
thats really cool!

ronv
04-22-2015, 06:50 AM
That is cool Tangfan. I picked up a group of S. petrocola at the auction Sunday from Ron Kempner and a little internet research indicates that they too may "cuckoo" at times. Do you have any experience with them?

Tangfan
04-22-2015, 07:06 AM
I have a group of those as well and from what I have seen and read, they do better as a "cave spawner". When I lived in Rhode Island, I meet a gentleman by the name of jerry Miranda who was, to my knowledge, one of the first in he US to spawn both of these cats. He wrote articles on both that are still on the web and are very good references. The only improvements over his articles that I have seen would be the addition of a cave type breeding trap that has marbles in the bottom of it (Jerry was retired so he could catch his cats in the act) so that you can save the eggs till you observed the tank (till I get home from work).

Both are fun cats, but my personal preference are the Multis, they swim in the open more are can be observed "playing" with each other more frequently. Just my 2 cents on the matter.

Tangfan
04-29-2015, 06:21 PM
These guys are growing like wild fire. Attempting to add a picture of them.

lamarr
08-27-2015, 11:22 AM
HEY are those my babies?

Tangfan
08-27-2015, 02:40 PM
HEY are those my babies?

Yes, they are. At least some of them.

lamarr
09-02-2015, 12:06 PM
They are doing great! Get in touch when you have any more available?