PDA

View Full Version : Dead Rainbows :(

joquin
05-04-2015, 09:52 AM
So I bought 15 threadfin rainbows on Friday and placed them in 110g, heavily planted tank. Tank mates are a school of 19 pygmy cories and countless shrimp. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning they all seemed to be having a grand ole time swimming around, chasing small shrimp, and generally being happy fish. I dosed my tank with the recommended amount of Flourish Excel early Sunday afternoon and when I looked at the tank again in the later afternoon 9 of the rainbows were dead. The rest still seem ok and the cories and shrimp are just dandy. Do rainbows have some sensitivity that I am unaware of or has anyone else ever had this happen? I assume their deaths have something to do with the Excel but perhaps they just had a suicide pact, either way I am not pleased about the loss of almost $100 of fish in a couple of hours.

Mog Carns
05-04-2015, 10:31 AM
I seem to recall Excel will cause the pH to drop, sometimes rapidly.

aXio
05-04-2015, 10:35 AM
Have you always dosed Excel? Threadfins are a more sensitive fish but should still be OK with Excel. If it was the first time you have dosed Excel with them then it might have been too much all at once. Possibly getting them used to the dosage slowly would be a better approach... such as cutting the dose in half and working up to full dose slowly. Excel can swing the PH among other things so it could have easily been the cause of death if they were only 3 days into acclimation.

But also honestly they could have just not acclimated properly yet. Threadfins can take a month+ to full settle into a tank. Did you buy the Threadfins from us by any chance?

joquin
05-04-2015, 11:03 AM
It was the first time I dosed them with Excel. I sadly did not think of the pH swing it could cause and that I might need to acclimate them. I did buy them from you guys, so I know they were healthy when I got them. Silly fish, don't they know I just want to love them?! I will be more careful with the surviving group.

aXio
05-04-2015, 02:23 PM
It was the first time I dosed them with Excel. I sadly did not think of the pH swing it could cause and that I might need to acclimate them. I did buy them from you guys, so I know they were healthy when I got them. Silly fish, don't they know I just want to love them?! I will be more careful with the surviving group.

I won't be able to fully replace them for you. But if you would like more threadfins let me know and I will do them 50% off for you so you can get your group back. Or let me know if you would like to try out some other fish instead.

Jakub

ronv
05-04-2015, 07:04 PM
Very generous offer...

joquin
05-05-2015, 08:45 AM
It is very generous, thank you Jakub.