PDA

View Full Version : Cory Eggs

dgamadanis
05-15-2015, 10:40 PM
My cores laid eggs attached to the side of an aquarium which has black mollies. How should I go about getting the eggs to hatch and raise the fry without them getting eaten? I've never bred cores before.

Garfieldnfish
05-15-2015, 11:08 PM
What kind of corys?
Remove the eggs by gently rolling them off the glass. Place them into a container with tank water (try avoiding air exposure) and leave the eggs in a dark place for about 5 days. Fry will hatch by then and up to two days later. Depending on the species you may want to raise them in another tank until they are safe from their parents. I have to do that with Weitzmanis and salt and pepper corys, by dwarf corys will not mess with eggs or fry.

geotek
05-16-2015, 10:19 AM
You can use a razor blade to scrape the eggs off the glass as well. A few seconds of air exposure didn't seem to bother the eggs of the bronze cories that spawned for me. I put the eggs in a breeder box, the type that has a fine mesh and hung it on the side of the tank. I think good water circulation is as important as anything as the eggs were not in the dark and they successfully hatched. The fabric mesh also will grow a biofilm in the few days it takes for the eggs to hatch which gives the fry something to eat for a few days.

mountainman36
05-16-2015, 09:32 PM
same as above, but i never worry about the air exposure....i move them to a 2.5g tank and air stones and let it be...most hatch in a day or two, some fungus, but usually its 50-500 eggs...so a few doesnt matter