PDA

View Full Version : Dead light fixture on planted tank.

madametechie
06-02-2015, 04:03 PM
Hi, guys! Any assistance/guidance you can provide would be fabulous! In 2009 I purchased a corallife dual compact 65 watt fluorescent fixture for my low-tech planted aquarium. Since that time, I've replaced the ballast, bulbs, etc. Last week it died again and I replaced the ballast once more, but no light. Any thoughts on the problem? Any thoughts as to the direction I should consider for my next light? I see that this fixture is pretty much no longer made. As far as plants go, I have Anubias, Kleiner Bar Sword and Vallisneria Corkscrew.

geotek
06-02-2015, 09:01 PM
Why not switch to either a dual T8 fixture or a single tube T5? Unless your tank is deeper than 24" in which case you might want to use a 3 tube T8, or a dual tube T5 setup, not a HO T5 as that would put you into high light territory. If you give your tank size, fert regimen, if any, and whether you use DIY or dose with Excel we could have more specific advice on fixture size.
I'm not sure what a good brand would be these days. Catalina Aquariums has cut way back on the variety of sizes they offer and I have not used other brands.

michael wolfe
06-02-2015, 10:06 PM
DIY LED is the way to go. Check out HitLites

caricell
06-03-2015, 07:01 AM
The corallife fixtures have bad history of ballasts going bad after 6 months. Gave up on them a long time ago. Get an LED. Look at Beamsworks or ecoxotic.

Hi, guys! Any assistance/guidance you can provide would be fabulous! In 2009 I purchased a corallife dual compact 65 watt fluorescent fixture for my low-tech planted aquarium. Since that time, I've replaced the ballast, bulbs, etc. Last week it died again and I replaced the ballast once more, but no light. Any thoughts on the problem? Any thoughts as to the direction I should consider for my next light? I see that this fixture is pretty much no longer made. As far as plants go, I have Anubias, Kleiner Bar Sword and Vallisneria Corkscrew.

madametechie
06-03-2015, 04:45 PM
Thanks so much! You guys have been very helpful! I always know I can count on AAA!