PDA

View Full Version : Dipnetting Fun - Sumac Creek, Crandall, GA

gofish
06-12-2015, 06:31 PM
Hey Guys,

My family and I had a blast doing some dipnetting this week in North Georgia off Hwy 411. Here are a few of the creatures we caught (they were all released following getting their picture taken):

We do this (almost) every summer and always have a great time.

If any of you can help ID any of these fish, that would be awesome!!!

Brian

caricell
06-12-2015, 07:42 PM
Neat brian!

michael wolfe
06-12-2015, 07:57 PM
Fundulus Stellifer the Southern Studfish (a large native killifish)
Hypentelium etowanum the Alabama Hogsucker
Hypentelium etowanum the Alabama Hogsucker
Lepomis auritus the Redbreast Sunfish
tadpole
tadpole
Lepomis megalotis the Longear Sunfish
Luxilus chysocephalus the Striped Shiner (really a poor common name for this one)
fisheater
plant-shredding fisheater
rockmoving plant-shredding fisheater
same as above
Notropis chosomus the Rainbow Shiner - Cyprinella venusta the Blacktail Shiner
Notropis chosomus the Rainbow Shiner - Cyprinella venusta the Blacktail Shiner

Rainbow shiners are a highly sought after species that are hardy in an aquarium. Blacktail shiners are not very colorful, but are also a robust and active schooling fish. The striped shiners have amazing breeding colors, but you don't see them very often and the fish can get big for a shiner. Hogsuckers get very large and are very demanding, not a good aquarium fish. The studfish are one I think I would like to work with, they require a lot of feeding and a larger aquarium than you might think, but I would like to try it. And any of you that were at the March meeting know that I am not a fan of sunfish... if you like keeping oscars, you might like sunfish... but I am a schooling fish guy.

gofish
06-12-2015, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the IDs Michael! You're awesome!

Brian

HN1
06-12-2015, 11:28 PM
Awesome! I suggest 9-12 meet 5 and 6. We need to do a field / collecting meeting sometime. Any suggested locations Michael?

mountainman36
06-13-2015, 02:03 AM
nice ids Michael. thanks for the help, i was gonna name a few, but i was wrong, i though northern hogsucker...i guess drainage is the determiner?

mountainman36
06-13-2015, 11:20 AM
also - im down for a colection meeting. i have a seine, a 20' one, so we can really get some good stuff. Im in Marietta - anyone want to try Sope creek? theres a park on roswell road we could meet at, i dipped some fish there a while ago, some studfish and a few mosquitofish, and a sunfish, L. auratis....that was just a dip net, a seine and a few people would be better

schillbw
06-13-2015, 01:16 PM
also - im down for a colection meeting. i have a seine, a 20' one, so we can really get some good stuff. Im in Marietta - anyone want to try Sope creek? theres a park on roswell road we could meet at, i dipped some fish there a while ago, some studfish and a few mosquitofish, and a sunfish, L. auratis....that was just a dip net, a seine and a few people would be better
I'm in Richard. Summers off until July 27.

michael wolfe
06-13-2015, 01:23 PM
On the hogsucker... yes, you are in the Coosa drainage up there... all that water trickles down into Alabama, down through Montgomery and eventually into Mobile Bay.

michael wolfe
06-13-2015, 01:28 PM
Y'all missed your chance... we were out today! In Johns Creek, just north of Atlanta... 16 species in a warm water southern stream! Including this great native. Notropis longirostris the longnose shiner is a small minnow with yellow to orange fins that prefers to live near the bottom in flowing water over a sand substrate.

Oops, I should have put this someplace else since this is a Chattahoochee drainage fish and really has nothing to do with Sumac creek (sorry)

Uptown Ruler
06-13-2015, 03:34 PM
I'm interested also but would have to be on a weekend for me

mountainman36
06-13-2015, 05:30 PM
Ok - ill see what we can work up. Weekend for me too. Michael - do you have any suggestions? cobb county area etc, where we could do this legally? 65/285 area to make it easy for folks....

michael wolfe
06-13-2015, 06:40 PM
I don't know the area anymore (as far as fish). But almost every bridge is public right of way. So almost everywhere is legal (just not neighborhoods, or hikes across property.

You really should get out and scout an area before you take a group out. Or stay tuned... I invite y'all when I go out... you just have to be willing to drive a little.

Demonfish
06-13-2015, 10:55 PM
I have Caney creek in my backyard. Likely the same fish as John's Creek, though.

michael wolfe
06-14-2015, 12:23 PM
The fish assemblage will be somewhat similar since Caney Ck is a Chattahoochee trib, but it looks like there is a reservoir (lake) that will likely have changed things some. But that is one of my "rules" of native fish... go hyper-local! You should know whats in a stream if it is that close to your house. It may be colorful or not, but it is yours. It may be healthy or not, but then you will know and maybe decide to help or protect it?

Demonfish
06-14-2015, 03:55 PM
Lake Windward is downstream from me. How does a Lake affect fish upstream?

mountainman36
06-14-2015, 09:55 PM
i went wading in sope creak today, in marietta. theres a park right there and easy access. i saw at least 7 species i coud differentiate, including some topminnows and bass, two types of sunfish and several minnows, plus three crayfish, one huge one. I saw two horny head nests too, a pile of rocks in a medium flow area...super cool. I say we try to meet up there. lots of parking and a trail along the creek.

As for the 'lake effect' it can lower diversity mainly because of increased predation, but that can be negated if the water has a few shallow spots. this prevents the larger predator fish from moving upstream easily.

michael wolfe
06-15-2015, 06:50 PM
Demonfish - The lake disconnects the natural fish community. It makes it more susceptible to any problems. For example, if something happens and there is a fish kill that wipes out the darters in the upper part of the stream... they will potentially never be able to come back because there will be no way for a natural upstream migration. This may not affect all species the same however. Sunfish and topminnows can adapt well to a lake... darters or some suckers, not so well.

Mountainman - that location sounds pretty good... a healthy crayfish population is usually a good indicator... and Nocomis chub nests... well that is the cream of the crop for fish habitat. Good job... sounds like a good spot.

heatherbeast
06-16-2015, 08:11 AM
What would collecting be like in late September around here? I'm asking since September 26th, a Saturday, is the next free fishing day in GA -- no license required, although you must observe all other rules, including species and number limits. I'm interested in tagging along, so if you want to do something sooner, I'm game.

Aside from a 5 gallon tank for viewing, I've have absolute ZERO equipment. Someone wanna (virtually) handhold me through this? What are some good items to get started with? :)

michael wolfe
06-16-2015, 06:56 PM
Actually, fall collecting is great! Lower air temperatures make for less stress on the collected fish and better aquarium survival rates. I pretty much stop collecting anything to take home (just capture, photograph and release) during the summer months for just that reason.

Really the equipment is pretty minimal. A seine can be had for relatively little money. You can check out some links from the second page of my website http://mwolfe.home.mindspring.com/links.html

That's really it... buckets (or maybe a small cooler is better)... sturdy shoes (or maybe wading boots to keep the stones out)... a photo tank to help make proper IDs... and you are started!