PDA

View Full Version : mummichog??

schillbw
06-28-2015, 04:58 PM
Just got back from a week on Topsail Island, North Carolina. A friend and I caught a bunch of these fish in the intercoastal. Kept them in a bucket with a sponge filter and added a few cups of fresh water each day. Got them home and put them in a fully freshwater 55 gallon with two sponge filters and some garland for cover. This morning they were happy as could be and tore into some brine shrimp flake. I believe they are mummichog (Fundulus heteroclitus) but wanted a second opinion. Thank you!

michael wolfe
06-28-2015, 08:55 PM
I'll second that opinion! Definitely a native killifish... look at that mouth and the placement of the dorsal. And mummichog are one of the more common species. So if it looks like a mummi and swims in the brackish water like a mummi, and it lives in a bucket for several days with no trouble... its a mummi

Angeredbug
06-29-2015, 04:56 AM
Yeah definitely a mummichog. Didn't know they would go full fresh. Had them in a brackish tank when I lived in Savannah. They will eat anything and everything.

schillbw
06-29-2015, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the input. Hoping to grow them out and get some fry.

vaindioux
07-05-2015, 01:41 PM
I have kept mummichog when I used to live in Connecticut. They are extremely hardy and will thrive in freshwater.

Patrick

lamarr
08-11-2015, 05:06 PM
Definitely Mummichug........ Only issue I ever had was fungus. You're probably over the hard part! My other favorite from that biotope is wild sailfin mollies. I'd LOVE a couple of pairs of those!