PDA

View Full Version : Returning to the hobby and Atl. Hi!

VeloLine
07-09-2015, 05:43 AM
Hey guys/gals
My name is Todd and Im making a glorious return to spending too much on fish tanks. I am currently reestablishing my 72 bow front Malawi tank which is going pretty well. Dropping by to introduce myself and get started learning how to properly take care of these guys and eventually setup a large tank, breed, and all of that. I grew up some cichlids in the past years but I feel like most of it was blind luck and I wasn't paying any attention to fish behavior, breeding, territorial habits, or warning signs of stress/disease.

Im slowly selling off my possessions to fund this renewed interest but some items I can't let go of are my parachute and bike. I spend my free time outside enjoying both of those and Im aiming to spend recovery days inside keeping busy with tank maintenance/gazing. Any skydivers or cyclists out there?

Current setup:
72g bow front
cascade1000
SunSun double head wavemaker
Dual 48incher hood- 1actinic blue, 1 10k coralife daylight
crappy powerhead
200w hydor heater ( considering replacing this )

temp 81F
pH 8.3
Lots of texas holy

michael wolfe
07-11-2015, 12:29 PM
If your such an outdoors man, maybe you should consider native fish keeping. We have an amazing diversity of fishes here in Georgia that you could experience in the wild... and at home!

canoe
07-12-2015, 01:28 PM
Welcome, Todd. Thanks for joining the forum. I can't contribute much to your Malawi knowledgebase, but there are others who will do so.

If you haven't already discovered it, there is also a real "live" club that holds monthly gatherings. Generally these are on the first Saturday of the month, 1:30 PM, at Fernbank Science Center (not to be confused with Fernbank Museum, which is nearby). The usual meeting is general business and announcements (short), a featured speaker (can't remember a bad one), and a mini-auction (so bring cash if you are impulsive). July doesn't follow the normal pattern, as we are gathering for a picnic. In December we get together for some frivolity. In both the fall and spring, we host a large auction, with hundreds of bagged fish and plants available for bid. Dry goods like tanks, filters, decor, etc. are sold too. It is a fun event, with surprises as well as bargains to be had. You can be a buyer and/or a seller, which leads into my pitch about joining AAAA. Membership is cheap ($20/year for an individual), and as a seller you will receive 70% of the bid amount. If you are not a member, you receive 60%. But wait ... there's more ... members receive the club's monthly digital newsletter, edited by Dave Ramsey. It is always a trove of useful info, great pics, and just generally well-written articles. Of course there is more, like discounts at area fish stores (for the hobby, not for consumption). $20 a year - it's a bargain. http://www.atlantaaquarium.com/content.php?6-Join-Us

Hope to meet you in person soon. The picnic is this Saturday.

Mog Carns
07-13-2015, 07:26 AM
Welcome back to Atlanta!

Plenty of Rift Lake keepers here, though I do not.