View Full Version : Tiger Barb Compatibility???

07-11-2015, 06:25 PM
I have a 90 gallon tank with about 15 Tiger Barbs. I have been looking at more fish to put into the tank and wanted to know what you all have had success with. I added 5 Giant Danios with great success as well. All fish are very healthy. Thanks for any advice.

07-11-2015, 09:42 PM
I have a 55 gallon that is lightly planted but has a lot of driftwood and I have a school of 10 tiger barbs. Other tank mates include a Pink Kissing Gourami, a female Swordtail and 6 Oto's. I tried adding some Peppered Cory's but the Tiger Barbs were constantly nipping at them so I put the Cory's in another one of my tanks. Personally I think I got lucky with the Oto's...my Tiger Barbs do not mess with them one bit.

I plan on adding a school of 10 Serpae Tetras next and maybe a Rainbow Shark.

Tiger Barb's definitely limit your fish options but there are a few out there that will work. I heard Black Skirt Tetra's will work as well.

Good luck!

07-11-2015, 10:15 PM
One of my favorite tanks had tiger barbs, an RTS, and a Raphael cat.

07-11-2015, 10:59 PM
Other barbs - I have had 2 dozen Rosy Barbs with 12 Tigers. They played nice and behave somewhat differently. Rosy Barbs will eat hair algae, but they also eat a lot of plants.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

07-12-2015, 05:56 PM
I forgot I also have an Albino Cory in their and he is doing well. The Tiger Barbs just stick to each other right now. They are 2" so not fully grown yet.

Mog Carns
07-13-2015, 06:42 AM
Other large Barbs and Cats. The tigers get 5"-6" so nothing too small.

Large tetras and danios do alright usually.

Anabantids and Cichlids don't usually work too well.
Even the peaceful cichlids like Kribs or Rainbows will beat the barbs to death.

07-13-2015, 09:25 PM
Yea I had a cichlid tank once but they all grew up to kill each other. Gave up on them and went semiaggressive this time. Think I can put a bala shark in their for 6 months? I am going to get a big tank at the end of the year.

Mog Carns
07-14-2015, 07:18 AM
If you are asking facts or compatibility, I have never had a Bala, so I cannot say.

If you are asking opinions-

Avoid the Bala Sharks... they are something like 18 inches full grown and a schooler... so you are looking at like 15 of them.

07-14-2015, 09:00 AM
Interesting, I didn't know the following, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bala_shark :
B. melanopterus is listed as an endangered species by the IUCN Red List.[4] It has become rare or extinct in many river basins of its native range.[1] In Danau Sentarum (Borneo), fishermen already reported in 1993 and 1995 that the populations have decreased dramatically after 1975, for no clear reason. Fishermen mentioned overfishing for the aquarium-fish trade or forest fires in 1975 and the resulting pollution as possible causes. The species is apparently extirpated in the Batang Hari basin (Sumatra) and it seems that all individuals of B. melanopterus exported from Indonesia and Thailand by the aquarium-fish trade are captive bred.[2]