PDA

View Full Version : Shrimps disappearance

Pierre
08-18-2015, 09:53 AM
I have 4 colonies (4 different tanks) of Red Cherry Shrimps, Blue grass shrimps, Red Crystal and Tangerine Tiger. Most were thriving for the last 2 years and then suddenly, they disappeared progressively. Not sudden massive death and did not see dead shrimps, but, except for the Blue grass shrimps and Red Crystal, they are almost all gone. I noticed this for the last 2 - 3 months. Water parameter are the same... I did not change any in the routine and wonder if others have had the same issue lately and what could be the cause. So far the only explanation is the city water.

Thank you,

Pierre

ronv
08-18-2015, 10:55 AM
I wonder if your water utility Co. has changed anything?

Demonfish
08-18-2015, 03:19 PM
I've read a little bit of copper can keep them from reproducing successfully, maybe that could cause a gradual dieoff.

Pierre
08-18-2015, 04:45 PM
Yes, that is true. That is why I wonder if others in the club for are raising shrimps had the same issue.

Garfieldnfish
08-18-2015, 04:58 PM
I have had the same problem with all my shrimp tanks and my water has not changed. I believe it has to do with the season and higher temps. Mine do not seem to breed during the summer months and since they only live a little over one year, the older ones just disappear. Probably eaten by the others or the snails. I hardly ever find a body but they are definitely less in numbers then there were in April. As long as you have a few left there is a good chance they will rebound in September, at least I certainly hope so.

HN1
08-18-2015, 07:46 PM
I agree with Garfieldfish. We had similar experiences. Question: Have you added any unrelated shrimp in with them? When I first started keeping shrimp I had several colonies that were strong for a year plus. After 12-18 mos or so they stopped producing and slowly died off to nothing. I have no proof of it, but my supposition is that they become too inbred to perpetuate after so many generations.