PDA

View Full Version : Relocating via plane the west coast for three months- should I take the tank with me?

Ewokempire
09-11-2015, 03:27 PM
Good news: My new (3 week old) 5gal Bumblebee Goby tank is doing awesome. 4BBGs, java ferns, floating water sprites, java moss ball and a marimo ball.

Bad news: My wife was just offered an incredible opportunity to take a temporary position in California for three months. We'll be returning to Atlanta afterward.

We're planning on flying, and the company will pay for all of our extra checked bags, and for shipping if necessary.

But the big question is this: should I take the tank with me, or ask someone local to take care of it for three months? I don't even know how I'd accomplish transporting it. I've only ever transported fish cross-country in buckets in my trunk while driving, never something like this.

Advice? Is there a shipper who specializes in this sort of thing?

Thank you in advance!

Tangfan
09-11-2015, 08:55 PM
Back in the 90s, I used to carry fish into planes. Just packed them normally and placed them in my carry on. But that was before 9/11 and I'm unsure of the rules now. If it is only 3 months, I'd either have someone watch the tank, or shut it down and store it till I got back. Moving tanks within driving distance is difficult enough. Plane trips add another level entirely. Just my 2 cents.

mountainman36
09-12-2015, 06:49 AM
If i were you id let someone take the tank and watch it for the months you will be gone.

this reminds me of a funny story - back in 1989 we were moving from Connecticut to Houston Texas - quite a change in venue at the time....But we had several snakes and lizards and didnt know how to get them there, we were flying.....so we loaded up some pillowcases and fanny packs...put the 5 foot long rat snake in the pillow case and the lizards in the fanny pack, and walked thru security...you didnt have to take off your jackets back then, so we just kept them on, and no one was the wiser...then once we got thru security and after the bags were scanned we transfered them to the carry on luggage....it was all pretty easy and we didnt really worry about it....now it would make national news...

caricell
09-12-2015, 09:14 AM
What is the size of the tank?

Good news: My new (3 week old) 5gal Bumblebee Goby tank is doing awesome. 4BBGs, java ferns, floating water sprites, java moss ball and a marimo ball.

Bad news: My wife was just offered an incredible opportunity to take a temporary position in California for three months. We'll be returning to Atlanta afterward.

We're planning on flying, and the company will pay for all of our extra checked bags, and for shipping if necessary.

But the big question is this: should I take the tank with me, or ask someone local to take care of it for three months? I don't even know how I'd accomplish transporting it. I've only ever transported fish cross-country in buckets in my trunk while driving, never something like this.

Advice? Is there a shipper who specializes in this sort of thing?

Thank you in advance!

Larry Bugg
09-12-2015, 09:24 AM
My new (3 week old) 5gal Bumblebee Goby tank

Demonfish
09-12-2015, 02:31 PM
Little tank, little fish. Read the airline rules, you may be able to take the fish with you in a breather bag. Pack the filter media in a bag (keep it moist) and buy an identical setup over there.

Garfieldnfish
09-13-2015, 07:18 AM
I would ask someone to take care of the tank while you are gone.
Or you could mail the fish to yourself the day before you fly. Buy a new tank once you get there. The fish should arrive a day after you and that would give you time to buy a new tank and set it up.
Another option is to temporarily give the fish to someone to care for them in their tank until you get back.

caricell
09-13-2015, 07:49 AM
I read the damn thing TWICE, and missed the 5 gal. both times. Geesh. Need to upgrade my glasses.
Thanks, Larry.

My new (3 week old) 5gal Bumblebee Goby tank