PDA

View Full Version : plants for an unheated tank

HiImSean
09-28-2009, 12:10 PM
im doing an unheated tank for my Uruguayan cichlids. i already have some java fern, amazon sword, and an plant i got at the auction (can't remember the name now). the plant from the auction and the sword aren't doing too well but the fern is growing pretty well. do you guys have any recommendations? right now the tank is at about 77F, i plan on letting it get in the mid 60s during winter

geotek
09-28-2009, 12:28 PM
In experience Amazon frogbit, a floater, and Carolina cabomba do well with cooler water and do well with medium light. Hydrocotyle leucephala, (pennywort) also does will with cooler water. How much of a plant eater is your ciclid?

HiImSean
09-28-2009, 12:43 PM
they dont touch the plants. i have gymnos and a pike. i plan on adding buenos aires tetras as well, but later on.

so domestic plants will prolly do well

geotek
09-28-2009, 02:17 PM
How much light does the tank get?
Are you looking for floating plants, plants attached to rocks, or substrate planted plants?
What substrate do you have?

HiImSean
09-28-2009, 03:13 PM
i have 130watts, power compact, over a 55g. i have 82watt, T5s, that i've been thinking of moving over. im looking for stuff to plant in substrate. i have pool filter sand now and have had good luck with vals in it and the sword. im thinking of getting some sort of plant substrate when i switch over to a 75g. im also using excel flourish every other day. i'd like to get some floating plants but they prolly wouldn't do well because of the flow in the the tank from aquaclear 110s

FSM
09-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Many species of Ludwigia are from North America so most of those should do fine. So are Cabomba and Bacopa. Most plants are fairly tolerant of cooler water, relative to tropical fish. Look through the plant profiles on plantedtank.net, most list 20 C as the minimum which is 68 F.

I've got Rotala rotundifolia, echinodorus tenellus and osiris, java fern, Hygrophila, and a bit of moss in my gymno tank. I haven't dropped the temperature yet so I don't know how they will be affected.

Garfieldnfish
09-28-2009, 04:19 PM
All my tanks are unheated, except for my L46 tank and I don't put plants into that one as I keep the lights off at all times, hoping that will get them in the mood of spawning. If they don't get the message soon, they will be doused in light and plants will go in there too. That will show them, ha.

The following plants do well in my house at room temps: lucents (spelling?), java moss, java fern, vals, lucky bamboo (I replace them approximately once a year, but Lowes sells 25+ plants for $15 so I don't mind. They look nice, are low in maintenance, no fish eats them and cheap), anubias, water sprite, duckweed and hortwort. You could also try water lettuce but mine always dies off during the hot part of the summer (I finally gave up on those). I also had good luck with Walmart bulbs, the lilies and the aponts.
I have a water purification system in my house so I use basically R/O water all the time. I have to add Equilibrium for the plants and they still do well. I don't even use any CO2 injection and medium to low light. All these plants are idiot proof or they would not make it in my house.

jmhart
09-28-2009, 04:21 PM
I've seen anacharis growing in the Truckee river at lake table.... Water there is 50-60 deg in the middle of summer