PDA

View Full Version : A. otterpoint

ronv
09-28-2015, 09:10 PM
Bought some fish yesterday I can't ID. What are A. otterpoint?

HN1
09-28-2015, 09:27 PM
I think they are these... http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1383. Not sure I'd trust it as a collection point.

I don't know Rift lake fish well, but wondered about the ID during the auction.

Tangfan
09-28-2015, 11:17 PM
The A. Jacobfrieburgi have several color morphs. I have some that I got when I lived in NC and the fry I have are bi-color. I sold some at the auction and kept some for myself to breed again. One of the males I kept is mostly blue, and the other is mostly red. Very unique from what I have seen.

ronv
09-29-2015, 09:01 AM
Thanks. That helps.

Tangfan
09-29-2015, 11:53 AM
It should also be said, that while most Cichlids are attempted to be kept "pure" strains, the Peacocks (Aulonocara) have been selectively breed and crossbreed to form different strains like the Eureka Red and German Red. I think the Bi-Color 500 was also selectively breed (not 100% sure on this one).

It is also a misconception among some people who have breed peacocks, that you can breed a certain type male with any peacock female and the type stays the same. Genetically this is impossible. And with this knowledge, comes concern about the legitimacy of some of the strain/lines of peacocks out there. I have always been a purest and believe that there are enough variants of cichlids out there that I don't have to create my own hybred.

Just my 2 cents and I will get off my soap box now. Sorry to digress.

But back to the original question, I have heard of "Otter Point" peacocks before and believe its a collection point. But since Jacobfreiburgi was one of the original peacocks (if not the original), many different collection points were placed into this class initially and definitely muddied that water that much more with the peacocks.

oxheart
09-29-2015, 03:24 PM
it is a location , or collection point .The ones I have seen wild are a bit subdued in color but have a longer almost swallowtail type fins .
Rick