PDA

View Full Version : Cyanobacteria auction #308

Hilde
09-29-2015, 10:47 AM
I just realized I have cyanobacteria in my tank. So whom ever got some plants at the auction with #308 dip them. Only took Rotala rotundifolia and Marsilea Minuta to the auction. These are the only items that came out of the tank with the problem. It is probably from over feeding the 2 fish I have in the tank.

Steps I am taking to get it under control
Added more fish
Water change with distilled water
Adding grit for gh low
Dosing with peroxide
Adding Co2
Last of all moving all to another tank.

Tangfan
09-29-2015, 10:58 AM
I didn't get any of your plants, but have had a hair algae issue in of my tanks. I am mostly a "fish" only type of person and started to sprout out into plants (pun intended :001_rolleyes:) and am still learning. From my google search on Cyanobacteria, I am assuming this is also known as hair algae. so, I should take the same steps as you describe?

What is "Grit"? Sorry if that seems like a ignorant question, but as I said, still learning.

thanks for the help.

Hilde
09-29-2015, 11:09 AM
From my google search on Cyanobacteria, I am assuming this is also known as hair algae. so, I should take the same steps as you describe?

What is "Grit"? Sorry if that seems like a ignorant question, but as I said, still learning.

They are not the same. I once hair algae when my nitrates were 60. Got it under control doing 1/3 water changes with distilled water weekly.

Grit is KAYTEEŽ Hi-Cal Canary & Finch Grit which contains granite grit, oyster shell etc. from petsmart http://www.petsmart.com/food-care/treats/kaytee-hi-cal-canary-finch-grit-zid36-4159/cat-36-catid-400056;pgid=4Hd.efNe2AlSRpjchZ9amjat0000Y40oClKx?_ t=pfm%3Dsearch%26SearchTerm%3Dgrit

Garfieldnfish
09-29-2015, 02:17 PM
Cyanobacteria is not true algae. It looks slimy and bluish green. It can be killed off easily by using E.M. tablets.

Hilde
09-29-2015, 06:49 PM
Cyanobacteria is not true algae. It looks slimy and bluish green. It can be killed of easily by using E.M. tablets.
Thanks for the info!! I shall get some soon.

caricell
09-29-2015, 09:54 PM
As stated earlier, it is a blue-green slimy substance that often "covers over" entire plants. I have always had 100% results with Maracyn powder (NOT MARACYN 2), at 1/2 the dose mentioned on the box for 3-4 days.

Thanks for the info!! I shall get some soon.

geotek
09-29-2015, 10:44 PM
Cyanobacteria usually occurs for me where there is poor water circulation in an area, usually due to excessive density of plants. It can be brought on by low nitrates or a excessive organics in the water as well. I would focus on finding and correcting the root cause. In the meantime it is easy to brush off of plants and scrape off of glass and I feed it my shrimp.

Garfieldnfish
09-29-2015, 10:45 PM
Yup Maracyn will work as well both meds are erythromycin.

Hilde
09-30-2015, 12:14 PM
Cyanobacteria usually occurs for me where there is poor water circulation in an area, usually due to excessive density of plants. It can be brought on by low nitrates or a excessive organics in the water as well. I would focus on finding and correcting the root cause. In the meantime it is easy to brush off of plants and scrape off of glass and I feed it my shrimp.
I know the cause is that I over fed the 2 Gouramis which were the only fish in the tank. Also when I unplugged the filter to feed the 2 Gorumais before going to work I forgot to plug it back in for a day a few times.

Just I had read that it is difficult to get rid of thus concerned that there could be spores of it on the plants I auctioned. If I had know it was Cyanobacteria I wouldn't have brought anything from that tank to the auction. I thought it was the same as green algae on the sides of the tank. Didn't know where else to post this to get it noticed.

Googling with a headache I didn't find the meds suggested. Thanks!!

Garfieldnfish
09-30-2015, 01:10 PM
See next post. Don't know how to delete a double post.

Garfieldnfish
09-30-2015, 01:17 PM
Petsmart used to sell it. But I just found some on Ebay. Write erythromycin in the search square and it will show you auctions for it. Your picture is definitely cyanobacteria. Remove as much of it as you can. Then add the meds to the tank as directed on the package. After the stuff gets killed off, do a large water change to remove most of the dead stuff. The meds will not harm your plants or fish.

Hilde
09-30-2015, 03:42 PM
Do I take the filter floss filter media (Eheim items) out while dosing?

gofish
09-30-2015, 03:52 PM
No need to remove filter floss while dosing. However, it would be a good idea to keep the filter media clean as the dead cyanobacteria sloughs off. It's very important not to have any activated. carbon in your filter or anything else that will remove dissolved organics during the dosing process.

Weather Loach
11-01-2015, 10:53 AM
A few years back, I had an outbreak of cyano in my strongly lit 75g hillstream loach tank. This tank has lots and lots of flow so figure it must be something in my tap water that was helping it along. Anyways, instead of using antibiotics, which I was afraid would kill my cycle, I treated with hydrogen peroxide. It worked!!

Here is what I did. Removed as much as I could manually. Then added the peroxide at the dosage of 1 ml per gallon. Approximately 12 hours later, I did a large-ish partial water change to remove anything the dead/dying cyano might release. After 24 hours, I repeated the H2O2/pwc. After the last pwc, I added some Tetra Safe Start, just to make sure I didn't have a mini cycle.

I have read that some people recommend up to 2ml per gallon but I decided to do half dose because of the loaches. I wasn't sure how they would handle it but they all did just fine.

Hilde
11-01-2015, 11:05 AM
I used the antibiotic for a week along with peroxide, Excel (Cidex) and it just resided a bit. Started dosing Aquarium salt weekly and it is going away. Only have this problem in high light tank. Thus think I definitely need to inject Co2. I have the Co2 set up just because I am afraid of something in my paintball system collapsing I want to anchor it to the wall. I have too many project now to get in the corner to create an anchor shelf for the tank. Soon hope to do so.

Weather Loach
11-01-2015, 11:23 AM
That may have been my problem too, not injecting Co2. The tank & plants were relatively new @ the time of the outbreak so that may have been an issue also. I did start using Chemi Pure Elite in all of the tanks. Don't know if that made a difference or not but haven't had anymore cyano issues since. I remember pulling out so much that it made the trash stink like cyano!! :P