PDA

View Full Version : Popeye in 8" Tinfoil Barb.

Senpai Snek
10-04-2015, 06:54 PM
Okay, I have a Tinfoil Barb with popeye (swelling in the right eye and a small streak of white cloudy.) I've only had him 3 days, he was an owner surrender at the local pet store and the guy that got him out of the tank dropped him. I'm assuming that's where the damage was done. I've quarantined him in a 10 gallon (treated with Melafix and Epson Salt) Now, to the questions: Do I treat with Epson salt daily? How long? What antibiotic would you recommend? I have petsmart, petco, and 2 high end aquarium shops within 15 minutes of my house. I need suggestions, experiences with this disease, anything will help. Thank you.

keonetfish
10-05-2015, 03:09 AM
Melafix never seemed to work for me on anything. I have no clue what it does to be honest with you. Maracyn I&II always worked for me however as far as external bacterial infections go.

Without meds, frequent water changes help a lot. One of my angels got it from a marital dispute and I just changed 20% of the water daily and it went away in 2-3 days.

Senpai Snek
10-05-2015, 07:17 AM
Thank you so much, I keep you posted, I'll go to the store today to pick up that medication.

keonetfish
10-05-2015, 09:19 AM
No problem. Just trying to help.

Garfieldnfish
10-05-2015, 12:25 PM
Popeye is not a disease. It is a symptom of many diseases. Sort of like fever in humans. Unless you know what the under laying cause is it is hard to tell you what to treat with. But if he has it as a result of an injury due to being dropped, antibiotics may help prevent an infection but won't help with the injury. Water changes to keep the tank at an optimum and time may cure your fish. On the other hand I have 2 salt and pepper corys that had popeyes for years while the others in their tank do not and they frequently spawn and seem to do well. So popeye in itself does not mean the fish will die without treatment. I would use Maracyn TC. I second the melafix statement (and pimafix for that matter). Nothing but "chickensoup" for fish. It might make them feel better but that "medicine" is just about useless in my eyes.

Senpai Snek
10-05-2015, 02:25 PM
Thank you :3 none of the stores had the Maracyn in stock so I bought a different broad spectrum antibiotic from the owner that I trust.

These are the pictures from this morning before the medication. Just a 20% water change and Epson salt. It looks 50% better than yesterday, the white cloudy is just a dot now. The swelling has also decreased.

Rusty
10-29-2015, 08:25 PM
I'd use aquarium salt instead of epsom salt. But thats just me