PDA

View Full Version : Question about fertilizer

Cole Cross
10-05-2015, 06:51 PM
I have rooted plants as well as floaters. Will root tabs feed these 0lants as well? If not, what is a good all around fertilizer for both types of plants?

Pierre
10-05-2015, 07:35 PM
Root tabs works for planted plants, especially larger ones such as swords. If you want a great fertilizer, use Greg Sage's : http://www.selectaquatics.com/Plant%20Fertilizer.htm
In fact I was about to order some. Let me know if you want to share the cost.

Pierre

Cole Cross
10-05-2015, 08:43 PM
Will this stuff work with a sand substrate

RLHam3
10-05-2015, 09:29 PM
Root tabs are great ferts, especially for heavy rooting plants like swords. And in a substrate such as sand which will not retain as many nutrients, root tabs become even more important.

However I would say that they should generally be viewed as a supplement to a more comprehensive fertilizer regime. Since this is your first experience with ferts, I would say that you should start on the flourish comprehensive fertilizer. It's got a little bit of everything and is meant as a stand alone. As you become more comfortable using these fertilizers, you will eventually begin to add in the more specific options.

Also, whenever you add nutrients to your tank in the form of fertilizers, I would always add a source of carbon as well. The best method is to inject CO2 directly into the tank from a pressurized cylinder. But this has a rather large initial cost and can potentially cause harm to your fish if used improperly. So instead, I would suggest that you start with liquid carbon. Flourish excel is pretty much the only liquid carbon on the market that is taken seriously. I would say that this is gonna be pretty much essential.

So in summation: keep using the root tabs. Dose the comprehensive once a week (after water change) and does excel 7 days a week (With the larger dose occurring after the weekly water change).

PS- I agree with Pierre. Sage makes a topnotch comprehensive fertilizer that comes with its own version of liquid CO2 mixed. I have used it as a standalone as well as in combination with Flourish and Aquavitro.

Cole Cross
10-06-2015, 07:51 PM
Just bought some ofnthat flourish excel on ebay. I hope it works well. Ill probably buy some root tabs also.

Roger
10-07-2015, 03:34 PM
I would use both, flourish tabs for rooted and flourish liquid for everything. Liquid is used frequently but tabs are used about quarterly. Swords and crypts really like tabs better, imo. Excel is not a fertilizer, it is a carbon source.

geotek
10-10-2015, 11:10 AM
The level of light you have in your aquarium is going to have a huge impact on nutrient and carbon demands. A low light to med low won't need much other than root tabs, but a high light will have a lot of needs. Floaters in my experience tend to use up nutrients in the water column quickly and just as quickly spread to cover the water surface. They can shade out other plants rather quickly if their numbers are not kept in check.