PDA

View Full Version : best way to fertilize aquarium

Ckwatson
09-28-2009, 11:53 PM
I have a normal gravel base. I have been dosing a liquid fertilizer but my plants are starting to look bad. Ever thing I have in the tank right now is planted in the gravel. Would some kind of solid tab be better or should I just try and up the dose of liquid.

hsd
09-29-2009, 12:45 AM
If the plants are root feeders like amazon swords, you'll want to go with some sort of fertilizer root tablets. What kind of plants do you have in the tank? What size tank, how many watts is the lighting?

Ckwatson
09-29-2009, 01:16 AM
It is 36 gallon with a nova extreme 2x24 watt T5HO. I have two kinds of Dracaena ( which seem like they may not be full aquatic plants) and some Peacock fern (which I just found out will not survive fully submerged) I also have some Crypto Lucens. Which seems to be doing best (but is should as it is the only plant that should be doing well in the tank. I guess that is what I get for buying plants at a petsmart and not a LFS.

Larry Bugg
09-29-2009, 08:34 AM
I don't think the issue is ferts. You really already stated the problem. With the exception of the Crypt, they are not aquatic plants. Pull them out and replace them. The crypt is a root feeder and would benefit from a root tab just as hsd stated.

jmhart
09-29-2009, 05:18 PM
I don't think the issue is ferts. You really already stated the problem. With the exception of the Crypt, they are not aquatic plants. Pull them out and replace them. The crypt is a root feeder and would benefit from a root tab just as hsd stated.
Right on the nose.

Ckwatson
09-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Yeah, after I did a little research I found the answer to the problem. I have pulled out what was dyeing and but in with my bamboo. Maybe it will do better in there and I will have a nice little garden on my desk.

Ckwatson
09-30-2009, 09:44 PM
The plants I have are starting to get black spots on them? It is a crypt and a mellow sword. I was suggested Flourish Comprehensive Supplement. Would this be good or should I just go with root tabs or maybe a mix of both? I was also told about flourish excel, any thoughts would be great.

hsd
09-30-2009, 10:19 PM
Sword plants are heavy root feeders, I think you would be better with root tabs. Couldn't hear to use both though, if you have other plants in the tank it can only help them. If you are gonna be at the meeting you can pick up some true aquatic plants.

Not sure how the bamboo will do, I think part of it has to be above the water level? not sure.

Ckwatson
09-30-2009, 11:34 PM
The bamboo is not in the fish tank, I have it in a vase, I added some of the stuff I took out of fish tank. I dont know if I will be able to make the meeting or not, is there any where in marietta that has a large selection of aquatic plants.

hsd
10-01-2009, 12:03 AM
Atlantis aquarium over on roswell & old canton road, has a fair bit of plants. Prices are ok.

Ckwatson
10-01-2009, 12:36 AM
yeah I checked them out a week or two ago and was not that impressed. It just seems like they could do a better job of keeping the place clean.

hsd
10-01-2009, 12:51 AM
True it's not the cleanest store, but I think they make up for it with the variety of stuff they got.

Ckwatson
10-01-2009, 01:43 AM
I may give them another try, they are pretty close. I like pets unlimited one powers ferry but they dont have much in the way of plants. they told me they could get just about anything but I dont know enough about it yet to tell them what I want.

geotek
10-01-2009, 12:57 PM
There will be a variety of easy to grow plants at the mini auction after the meeting. I will be bringing a several bags of plants and would be happy to help you out with real aquatic plants that are easy to grow.