PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding on filters

Cole Cross
10-10-2015, 11:19 PM
Petsmart is having a sale on all their filters. I bought a Marineland Penguin 350 for $22 for my 55g tank. I planned on going back and buying a penguin 200 for my 29g for $17 until I read online about how good Aquaclear's filters are. I have no experience with either of these filters. I was wondering if its worth not getting the penguin 200 and just paying $15 more for a aquaclear 150? Im looking for something thats pretty quiet and will last a long time. Will the Penguin hold up to these standards?

bluefalcon505
10-10-2015, 11:23 PM
I would hands down get the AC150 by far.

Matt H.

Cole Cross
10-10-2015, 11:40 PM
Whats so good about the aquaclear?

Pierre
10-11-2015, 12:01 AM
I like these because they also clean the water surface: http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-hang-on-filter-pfe6.html and I believe shipping is free.

Pierre

aXio
10-11-2015, 09:23 AM
Aquaclear filters have actual media in them. Where as Marineland filters use cartridges which can get expensive fairly quickly if you are changing them out monthly as needed. Cartridges are pretty much nothing but carbon and a little bit of filter pad. The Marineland bio-wheels are arguably also weak compared to the bio-media and sponge provided in the Aquaclear. I would also say the Aquaclear will be much quieter then the Marineland filter.

If you do end up going with the Marineland filter I would consider buying bio-media to add to the filter. Something like Seachem Matrix and then just using "cut-to-size" filter pads so you aren't spending a lot of money on cartridges. As well as having a much stronger filtration in my opinion.

Jakub

mountainman36
10-11-2015, 12:24 PM
im my experience the aquaclear filters are better. the media is rinseable, and only replace the carbon as needed, and that can be done from a bulk bag so its cheaper. also they are the same filter for the last 20 years...virtually no changes, so they obviously work. they are quieter than any biowheel because they dont splash. Flow rate is better than the marineland ones too. after a few years you will be saving money

Go buy it from Jakub. we need to support independent stores so we can find unusual and cooler fishes than the petsmarts of the world care to deal with.

Demonfish
10-11-2015, 05:08 PM
I like the penguins, but the last few I've bought have gotten loud fairly quickly, I think they aren't as rigid as they used to be. If quiet is important, get the aquaclear or a canister.

caricell
10-11-2015, 09:37 PM
For an HOB, get the Aquaclear. if you decide to go with a canister, get the lowest model of the SunSun.

I like the penguins, but the last few I've bought have gotten loud fairly quickly, I think they aren't as rigid as they used to be. If quiet is important, get the aquaclear or a canister.

Cole Cross
10-12-2015, 05:58 AM
I came across a really good deal on craigslist and got 2 aquaclears for $40. One for my 29g and one for my 55g. So far I really enjoy them.