PDA

View Full Version : AAAA Social Media Survey

Briemesm
10-16-2015, 08:01 PM
Hi all! I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Brianna Mercer (aka Brie) and I am the new Social Media Chairperson for the club. As part of trying to expand our social media presence, I have created a very short survey that I would greatly appreciate you taking a moment to fill out. This is for anyone using the Forum, members and non-members alike! http://goo.gl/forms/tyHZ7xph9k

I look forward to meeting you all and working to make our awesome club even bigger and strong in the following months! Thank you again so much for your help!

Garfieldnfish
10-16-2015, 09:21 PM
Great job. I filled it out.

CostumeKevin
10-17-2015, 04:43 PM
Thank you for all your efforts.
Submitted ours.

aXio
10-18-2015, 12:13 PM
Done and filled out as well.

Mog Carns
10-18-2015, 12:25 PM
I check the forums once a day in the morning on weekdays; several times a day if it is slow at work. Weekends, I usually get once a day at some random time.

I do not use any other form of social media. I was forced to set up a Google+ account for work when the school system went to Google Platform, but we quickly abandoned using that aspect.

My facebook does not use my real name... I only use it when I need to do something or get some reward that requires a facebook account. I can at least see the point of FB articles, however. If I were the kind of person that had FB friends, and I clicked on like, my FB friends would be able to see it, and perhaps function as a source of new members that I would not have thought to discuss it with previously.

However, I cannot even conceive of a point to twitter or instagram or any of the other pieces of crap. They are basically the same functionality as the forums or FB, except more limited and scattered across 12 websites.

Tangfan
10-18-2015, 12:41 PM
On many points I agree with Mogs, but many places who use Facebook also use twitter (thinking of businesses). My personal preference is the forums. Multiple locations means multiple places to keep up with. Maybe I'm being old, but I don't have the time/patience for that (OK, might be a personal weakness I have).

But to better spread the word, anything might help.

I personally check this forum a few times a day and also check the SC club and Charlotte club every few days. I have noticed less postings at all the site in the last 6-9 months and can not begin to guess why.

Hope this helps.

aXio
10-18-2015, 03:19 PM
However, I cannot even conceive of a point to twitter or instagram or any of the other pieces of crap. They are basically the same functionality as the forums or FB, except more limited and scattered across 12 websites.

I would have to strongly disagree with you on this part of your statement. Just like you favor the forums to other forms of social media there are people out there that favor twitter to all the others... or Instagram to all the others, etc. You are pretty much forced to hit as many avenues are you can handle in the social media world to cover all your bases. You can't shoot yourself in the foot by being stubborn and not wanting change.

For my store I post to AAAA, ARC, PlantedTank.net, Monsterfish Keepers, Facebook, Instagram, Google+, and many other forums. It is annoying but I honestly see feedback and returns from all the social media avenues. I get the most feedback from Facebook and follow closely by Instagram. Unfortunately AAAA is on the bot of the list for returns/feedback we see.

Most people on here will probably say that they mainly use the forums... but those people are already on here so makes perfect sense... I'm assuming the ultimate goal here is to get us new members... and like it or not... the new young people use every social media website out there... sometimes all at once haha. Forums are slowly dying off across the board. With todays fast paced instant information society even taking a couple of minutes to check the forums is too long when you compare to a couple of seconds for other social media forms.

Jakub

mountainman36
10-18-2015, 03:37 PM
i dont wanna agree, but hes right. The instant gratification society tends to veer away from things that are time consuming. There will always be a place for the forums, but tho other avenues are more used. Not by me, but by the type of folks we are looking to recruit.

Think of it this way: who is most likely going to get a new tank or be a beginner? young teens to young adults. They are the ones we will see getting into the hobby. Its VERY different for my business with ponds and Koi - you have to own the home to build a pond, and have some disposable income....so my usual client is 45-65. Forums all the way for them. they dont do instagram, most do use facebook though. And email for sure.

Thats what i have seen, so lets see what works best for the folks we want to get.

Richard

michael wolfe
10-18-2015, 05:33 PM
I'm assuming the ultimate goal here is to get us new members...

Forums are slowly dying off across the board. With today fast paced insta information society even taking a couple of minutes to check the forums is too long when you compare to a couple of seconds for other social media forms.

Not a member here, and have not filled out the survey (maybe I should go do that huh?), but just wanted to say, I think the purpose of all these tool sis a little different. Agree, that if you want to "attract" new people you have to make it as easy and quick as possible. But that, almost by definition means glitz over content... fish eye candy on twitter/instagram. But no one can solve a problem or learn about a new fish, or whatever in 140 characters. The forum platform has become less about conversation, twitter and hatebook do take over there... but for more information and maybe even for references or links to references, the forums still have something to offer. So I think it is not about "which one" but more about "how many" and how to use them.

Just my thoughts... off to complete the survey now.

Briemesm
10-18-2015, 08:09 PM
Most people on here will probably say that they mainly use the forums... but those people are already on here so makes perfect sense... I'm assuming the ultimate goal here is to get us new members... and like it or not... the new young people use every social media website out there... sometimes all at once haha. Forums are slowly dying off across the board. With today fast paced insta information society even taking a couple of minutes to check the forums is too long when you compare to a couple of seconds for other social media forms.

Jakub

i couldn't have said it better myself Jakub!!!

Please keep in mind, I am the Social Media Chairperson. This survey represents a desire to reach new audiences and is not intended to diminish the Forum in any way. The club has over 330 ppl in it's Facebook group, over 250 "likes" on the Facebook Page, and nearing 2,000 Forum users...and yet we have just over 85 people who are willing to pay to support our club with a yearly membership. Even less who regularly attend meeting, fewer still who make regular contributions to our monthly newsletter with inspiring articles about the hobby, less still who will volunteer time to care for a chairmanship within the club.

If this club is to survive, it needs to start thriving and stop remaining part of the status quo. This survey has been posted on the Facebook page and in the Facebook group to reach out to as many of the people who aren't members but partake on these social media as possible. I am shocked to report that there have been plenty of "I didn't know there were meetings" and "I didn't know I could join" or "I feel too inexperienced to hang with these people" which is evident to me that we aren't properly putting ourself out there. More to the point, when I see a nationally acclaimed reef club coming from our massive city and hear LFSs talking about having phenomenal freshwater fish sales, but we as a club are seeing perpetually diminishing returns, I know it is time to refresh, recommit and put ourself out there in a new way.

Thank you you all for your feedback and time taking the survey!

mountainman36
10-18-2015, 08:31 PM
thx Brie - not many of you guys could pick me out of a crowd...i never go to meetings. just that point in my life, and a busy business to run. I do feel part of the community, and i want to help. i KNOW im not alone in that sentiment. However, Only 85 paid memberships is terrible in a city of 5 million. Perhaps a lot more can be done at the local stores. i worked at several over the years in college and just after, and we were pretty busy...and there was a lot more competition then than now....all 5 stores i worked in are out of business from lack of sales. I see a decline in general in fish keeping, but there is still a need for this club.

I like what you are doing here Brie - i think you are on the right track

Mog Carns
10-19-2015, 09:54 AM
I feel that you have reaffirmed my point rather than refute it, to be honest.

Don't misunderstand me... I know people use the less effective apps. I know Jakub and Brie have no choice to bring the mountain to the swipe right crowd. #sofish #muchbubbles #veryplant

Nor am I ignorant that sometimes, a change can be good, regardless of how comfortable you personally are with the status quo.

I am just fleshing out my questionnaire responses in the 40 year old male demographic. The responses of my wife or children would be vastly different.

Mog Carns
10-19-2015, 10:11 AM
Getting off topic, but since you brought it up...

On the south side of Atlanta, I cannot get people to come to meetings because it is "too far". I am not sure what "too far" means since I offered to drive them. So far, only hplowe took me up on that. Maybe my house is too far!

gloriousbettas
10-19-2015, 04:00 PM
I have to agree, axion. The younger crowd does use FB, Twitter and Instagram. I am not young anymore, but because of my MLM business, I need a presence where people can find my businesses and FB seems to bring me good results. I do check this forum about once a week. If I get a Private message, it is sent to my email, so I'm fine with that.
Kendra

mountainman36
10-19-2015, 08:51 PM
I feel that you have reaffirmed my point rather than refute it, to be honest.

I am just fleshing out my questionnaire responses in the 40 year old male demographic. The responses of my wife or children would be vastly different.

I wasnt trying to refute you Mog, sorry to offend if i did...i bet our questionnaire responses were a lot a like...me also being in the 40 year old demographic...and the 'too far' moan is frustrating. its a big town...deal with it. nothing is close, you have to make some effort to get good results...the meetings are always worth it.

Mog Carns
10-20-2015, 04:25 PM
Not at all. I always welcome a well reasoned difference of opinion.