PDA

View Full Version : Aspidora Eggs!

cswain123
10-18-2015, 03:46 PM
I've had a little group of aspidoras for few months now. They eat well and are active but no eggs. Up until yesterday they've only been in tanks with sponge filters. I remembered Rachel o'leary saying hers liked to swim against the bubbles and would lay eggs there. Mine never cooperated that way. I recently setup a 20 long with a wet/dry and the out put back into the tank is stronger than any sponge filter. I put the aspidoras in yesterday and have added blood worms to their diet. This morning I found two whole eggs [emoji3] lol. One in some floating plants and the other on the output. They're larger than I expected. I don't even know if they're fertile but the increased flow seems to have done the trick. Hopefully they'll get settled in and with continued blood worms they'll produce more eggs. Here's to hoping for more!
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/18/37ee833e6df9893d75f8e3850bb846fe.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

cswain123
10-18-2015, 04:15 PM
Quick update: there's 5-10 eggs just stuck to the bottom of the glass

Tangfan
10-18-2015, 04:30 PM
Congrats on the eggs. Might not be just due to the water current,the change in the weather has made my fish frisky (3 different species breed in 3 different tanks in last 48 hrs). Weather always seems to play a huge part in my fish behavior.

cswain123
10-18-2015, 06:33 PM
Congrats to you too. Breeding keeps the fish keeping fun for me. I'm a ways away from Atlanta and it's been nothing but sunny here but maybe some of that weather will move here and get my other fish on the ball.

mountainman36
10-18-2015, 08:22 PM
are those spilotus? i have both them and cw52 'black fin' the black fin lay on the airline from the sponge filter. i never see the spilotus eggs but they are really active and eat the eggs immediately i suspect. i get some fry on them when i move plants to another tank...i dont see eggs, but i get fry that way, 2-3 at a time.

This is cool! glad to see you have had good luck, and that you shared. These are what we need to see to keep the club motivated and interesting

cswain123
10-19-2015, 01:25 PM
These are the cw52 I got from you back in the summer. They never laid on my airline tubing but the eggs are still there so maybe they won't eat them. I haven't looked up hatching time so I guess I need to look in to that. There's no fungus yet though. The past couple weeks two of them got super fat so that's what also prompted the move. I knew they probably had to have eggs.

cswain123
10-21-2015, 06:42 PM
Noticed the eggs had fungus yesterday and today they were gone :/ now for the Waiting game again.

mountainman36
10-21-2015, 07:26 PM
bummer..they were young, so they often fail the first attempt at procreation....

cswain123
04-14-2016, 08:49 PM
Little update on these guys. I have them in the same tank they were in.same setup. Tank mates are a few white clouds, bn pleco pair, and some pleco fry. Tons of java moss too. Been feeding this tank algae pellets and small crumble for more protein. Last two weeks been doing more smaller water changes and it's been semi stormy more recently. Started feeding additional catfish pellets earlier this week. Tonight I pulled 27 eggs out!!! I usually see a couple at some point every week or so but this is by far the most at one time. Hopefully some will hatch. I have them in 2.5g in a ton of java moss with some danio fry. Eggs are about 2x bigger than the danios so not worried about them being lunch. Going out of town this weekend but hoping with the time it'll take them to hatch and absorb egg sacks they'll be fine. Need to pick up a mw culture or starter sample at the auction. :)

mountainman36
04-14-2016, 09:14 PM
my colony is still going well, i have 10 young about 4-6 weeks old. i have stopped trying to move the eggs. i had good luck in the past, but those and the spilotus eggs dont ever hatch or do well when i move them. i wil ltry meth blue next time i have time. Good luck on them

cswain123
04-15-2016, 12:16 AM
Thanks. I feared the Plecos would be having eggs for breakfast. I'm just happy to know they can and will actually lay that many eggs. I took them off the bottom by hand and they do feel a little softer than Cory eggs. Credit card wasn't working.