PDA

View Full Version : Oto eggs maybe?

Briemesm
10-20-2015, 09:47 AM
Found some eggs in my 10 G betta/albino cory/oto tank last night. Found a bazillion (technical term) more this morning. I'm thinking it's the otos as they are the newest to the tank. Will otos lay eggs without mating? Or is it likely these little beauties are fertilized? Really hopeful!!!! First time anything this extensive has happened.

HN1
10-20-2015, 11:27 AM
How long have you had the cories? I think they may be the more likely culprits. Either way... congrats and good luck!

Tangfan
10-20-2015, 11:28 AM
From what I have read on the internet, Oto's will typically only lay a few eggs each time they breed - which might be as frequent as every 7 days. That many eggs might be the Cory's laying of the eggs. I have never breed either myself, so I am not speaking from my own experience. I have seen an increase in breeding activities in my fish in the last week with the drop in temperatures that we have seen (might have something to do with the fish breeding).

Good luck raising the fry.

Briemesm
10-20-2015, 12:18 PM
So I have had 2 albino corydoras in here since last December. We had one time where we saw eggs on the substrate but that was it and they were 3 times the size of these eggs. Then I got 4 otos at the fall auction but it turned out one of the "otos" was actually an aspidora. But only 1. Would they lay eggs without a partner? I've definitely been noticing some mating with the chill in the air. Thanks for the help. I want some babies!!!!

Perrin150
10-20-2015, 12:20 PM
Definitely corydoras eggs!!!!
Ottos will only lay few eggs and drop each egg in different locations i have never seem two in the same spot!!!!
Good luck

aXio
10-20-2015, 01:58 PM
I'm saying Cory eggs as well. I never known otos to lay so many eggs.

mountainman36
10-20-2015, 06:27 PM
100% cory eggs. ive bred aneus corys too many times to count and thats just what it looks like. also the otos cant possibly lay that many eggs. they are too small, and they only lay a few at a time as ive read...i havent spawned them yet, thats so not from personal experience

....you have two options. move the eggs or move the other fish.

With that many eggs id say moving the fish is better

assuming you want babies of course

Briemesm
10-20-2015, 06:58 PM
Lesson painfully learned. I removed the eggs but holy cow it took forever. I'm be so happy with a ton of cory babies. Fingers crossed!

cswain123
10-20-2015, 07:03 PM
Good luck!!! Those were two really busy little cories

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Briemesm
10-20-2015, 10:28 PM
Any tips for watching for egg viability? never had cory eggs...actually, kinda my first go with eggs all together. got them in a cup of tank water with a tiny drop of methylene blue. feel like such a nervous parent right now. lol.

cswain123
10-21-2015, 06:39 PM
Any aeration would help. And if they're not all clumped up it helps too. I've hatched them a few times by just putting them in a net and letting the net hang in the tank. Transfer the babies to a tank with a sponge filter. Fungus was the only issue I ever had and they hatch quick enough that the fungus never really spread. The m.blue may keep all fungus at bay. I never tried it before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

mountainman36
10-21-2015, 07:33 PM
that should work. i dont usuually use the meth blue on cory eggs....but i used to get so many spawns i didnt want any more eggs.

they take 3-4 days to hatch. tiny slivers on the tank bottom.

most folks have good luck with smaller tanks to raise them in....they seem to struggle to find food the first few days.

Try these for first foods - green water. you can microwave it to kill it so it will sink, or just leave it....it will die off on its own naturally.
Decap brine shrimp....i had massive die offs when hatching brine shrimp. i coundnt reliably get the egg shells separated from the shrimp. i think they died on the eggs.
frozen rotifers. these are easy to use, but tough to find. I have used them with angelfish fry and had good luck with that too.
micro worms work well too.
Daily or twice daily water changes once they hatch..after they get some color and start to be more compact (they are long and skinny to start) about 2 weeks, you can move them to another tank thats bigger so you can get to water changes every few days. a 2.5 works well, then a 5 gallon.

congrats on the spawn! its really awesome. my favorite thing about fish is breeding them.

Briemesm
10-22-2015, 08:58 PM
This is great stuff. Thanks guys. I have microworms so i guess i'll roll with that. Fingers crossed so hard. eggs aren't white and you can see something inside, i'm hoping that means babies are coming soon! so very very hopeful.

mountainman36
10-29-2015, 02:17 AM
been wondering your results Brie? how did it go?

Briemesm
10-29-2015, 06:21 AM
No, big fat nothing. But I have since observed my albino corys getting dogged by the newcomer aspidora. Wondering if the gender is different across the genus leading to egg laying but resulting in no babies. Kinda bummed, but c'est la vie! Thanks for checking!