PDA

View Full Version : Swap meet in Chattanooga?

lamarr
10-21-2015, 01:28 PM
Hey folks! If I could get a meeting room at a local hotel for a reasonable price, do you think there would be enough interest to do a monthly swap meet? Lots of folks breed fish, propogate plants and even corals. Looking at Chattanooga, but kind of based on where interested members are. I like the idea because we are 2 hrs from Atlanta, Nashville, Knoxville, Huntsville and Birmingham

Demonfish
10-22-2015, 01:18 AM
Monthly is lot, you'd have to get a really cheap room. I think GCCA (greater chicago cichlid) only does 3 or 4 a year. I went to one in SC and it was fun. Our AAAA mini auctions at the meetings sometimes get 100 items.

gofish
10-22-2015, 06:28 AM
If you can find a hotel at a very reasonable price and a room that's large enough, we might even consider having our auctions in Chattanooga. Reasonable to me would be $500 instead of the $1500 we paid for the hotel for our last auction. Please let us know what you find.

Thanks,

Brian

Briemesm
10-22-2015, 08:10 AM
If you can find a hotel at a very reasonable price and a room that's large enough, we might even consider having our auctions in Chattanooga. Reasonable to me would be $500 instead of the $1500 we paid for the hotel for our last auction. Please let us know what you find.

Thanks,

Brian

I think the swap meet idea has serious potential but moving the auction away from Atlanta, with a population of 5,490,000 to a city with 173,000 people, especially as we ARE the Atlanta Area Aquarium Association and not even a TN based group, seems a bit of a stretch. Considering that people on my social media survey are saying that the place of our meeting and the date are not good for them, thusly preventing them from attending the meetings or paying for a membership, I can't imagine moving it further afield.

I agree that there are tons of people breeding and growing amazing things. It would be nice to see more of these people partaking in our BAP and HAP programs, thusly making cash for themselves and in turn supporting the club, before we consider spending money on an out of state event.

Maybe a fish swap could be added to our auction the night before, making our auction a multi-day event for all the people coming from out-of-state. Not even necessarily at the venue but possibly a restaurant where people could mingle, get dinner and swap their awesomeness.

Tangfan
10-22-2015, 10:51 AM
I'd be interested in a swap meet, but monthly would be a bit much. Possible quarterly. Or maybe just dispersed between the auctions. Auctions are September and April, so maybe January and July.

I am not opposed to Chattanooga, but as stated before, we are an Atlanta based club so it would make sense to stay close to Atlanta, unless this would not be a "Club" function, than it is open to anywhere.

I do know the South Carolina Swap meet that typically meets in January is at risk of being cancelled due to lack of support, that might be a good time to do it, or perhaps to join forces with that group and create a bigger swap meet at some convenient location to both groups (many of us did make the journey to the SC Swap meet last year).

Just thoughts to help the aquarium society mindset continue to spread.

Tangfan
10-22-2015, 11:05 AM
I just read on the SC board that they have cancelled their convention in January. I did post on their board to see if there would be interest in doing a "joint" swap meet of something to that effect. I am posting a link to their board if some more ppl from this board would like to chime in on their site.

If we were to do a joint venture, we might have to move it somewhere between Atlanta and Greenville - with Athens being a logical choice. I will look around and see if there is a possible venue available.

http://scaquariacom.ipage.com/index.php?sid=e4b8456db97176f23d2318f5ce456426

lamarr
10-22-2015, 02:15 PM
I'll see what I can come up with, just poking around. It was your auction that got me thinking about getting breeders together from Atlanta, Nashville, Knoxville, Huntsville and Birmingham. While I agree Chattanooga isn't large enough to support anything of the sort, the central location is ideal. I know 2 hrs. is not a big deal for me when it comes to fish.

Weather Loach
10-31-2015, 08:40 PM
I would love to see something in Chattanooga!! I am a full time caregiver and can't really travel too much or for too long, even overnight. It's my hometown and would love to see something like that here :)

Judo Coach
11-01-2015, 06:56 PM
I would love a chat auction