PDA

View Full Version : Possible alternative to filter pads for Marineland Emperor 400

Gibbletest
10-24-2015, 09:53 PM
I have a emperor 400 running on the back of my 55 gallon. I have been buying the blue filter pads made for the Marineland filters. However, I have been looking online for less expensive alternatives to the rite size pads you get at the store. One thing I found was making your own filter pads out of filter fiber sold in a big roll (bulk) along with loose media, wrapped around the black plastic frame from the old filter pad or egg crate lighting panel cut to size. I didn't know if this would work or if it is cost effective. I see the bulk rolls of filter fiber, blue fiber and some kind of pink fiber, on amazon and jehmco, would these work? The filter pads are so expensive, does anyone else have any alternatives or suggestions? It would be very helpful.

Pierre
10-25-2015, 07:44 AM
I faced the same issue and have since used pillow poly filler that you can get a walmart (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Poly-fil-Biggie-Bean-Bag-Filler-16-oz-Bag/46699918). NOTE that you need to seed your new filter with good bacteria first and therefore run the poly filler with your old pad for a week or so. Then I wash it when I do a water change and can replace some of it with new one if too dirty. BUT NEVER replace all of it at once and NEVER wash it under tap water which has chlorine. I've been doing this for more than 2 years on many tanks and it works great. Another advantage is that you can start a new tank instantly by reusing some of the existing poly filler from another aquarium.

Gibbletest
10-25-2015, 07:50 AM
Great, that sounds easier to get then the filter fiber rolls. My Wife has a lot of that stuff in the attic so I will see if it is the right kind. Just polyester correct? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lamarr
10-25-2015, 08:42 AM
I've been very happy using "cut your own" air filter material on one of my 55's. It's stiff enough to stand vertical like the cartridge and porous enough to pick up debris and allow good flow. Comes in sheets that are about 2x3 ft for about 6 buck IIRC.

Gibbletest
10-25-2015, 08:46 AM
I will check that out too. I saw a couple of videos on YouTube where the made pads but they needed something to support against the water flow in the filter. Thanks

bmarsh07
10-25-2015, 09:11 AM
I used old frames, and replaced with coarse blue inserts, and then a set with finer white cloth...no issues

aXio
10-25-2015, 09:39 AM
For Marinelands I just use the "Cut-to-Size" filter pads for mechanical then fill the sucker up with as much Seachem Matrix as I can. Since the Bio-Wheels are all but useless the Matrix will be a HUGE increase in biological filtration. The pads are rigid enough that they stand up straight in the filter even with the flow and will hold the matrix in place if you decide not to use it with a filter bag.

Broken up lava rock or ceramic media are decent alternatives to Matrix.

Gibbletest
10-25-2015, 02:33 PM
Ok thanks. I have the foam slugs, larger bio balls and ceramic noodles. They've all been used in tanks previously, so I could clean them well and reuse them? I downsized quite a bit so I have a lot of extra stuff material and equipment. I guess I'm just a little more cautious about trying something different now that I only have two tanks.

peathenster
10-25-2015, 04:53 PM
I have (I think) third part cassettes that fit in the filter. It's got a lot of room inside that you can fit a lot of stuff in it - pads, carbon, other matrices.

Gibbletest
10-25-2015, 06:09 PM
Do you remember who made them?

Demonfish
10-25-2015, 10:48 PM
Dr. fosterandsmith has a lot cut-to-size media choices. Kensfish.com has "generic" replacement media cartridges for many filters. I've tried them and they are less rigid but they do work.

peathenster
10-26-2015, 10:08 AM
Do you remember who made them?

I'll see if I can find them tonight