PDA

View Full Version : PH of tap water in Atlanta?

Tropical
10-28-2015, 03:05 PM
Anyone know what the Tap water ph should be for atlanta?

I tested mine and got 8-8.1, which shocked me a bit! I thought we had low ph/7....

heatherbeast
10-28-2015, 04:19 PM
Which county are you in? The municipal water systems here post annual water quality reports, although this doesn't include pH. In my experience, Fulton and DeKalb counties keep their pH at about 8-9 to reduce the amount of corrosion caused by the chlorine residual they put in the water. The water is /soft/ though, so if you let the water sit overnight, you'll see the pH drop.

aXio
10-28-2015, 04:36 PM
I know closer to the city pH does go up like heather mentioned. Up North in Cobb, Cherokee, Forsyth you usually get around 6.5-7.5

Most people on these forums don't actually live in city itself.

Tropical
10-28-2015, 07:44 PM
I'm in dekalb.

Huh interesting, I did notice the ph go down, as I'm currently cycling my tanks...

So that would mean low Gh/Kh levels?

HN1
10-28-2015, 09:10 PM
We're in Forsyth County and the water tests at 6.4, 6.8 after gas off. What is your TDS?

Mog Carns
10-29-2015, 08:26 AM
I'm in dekalb.

Huh interesting, I did notice the ph go down, as I'm currently cycling my tanks...

So that would mean low Gh/Kh levels?

Extremely low.

Tropical
10-29-2015, 08:50 AM
That makes me very happy, as I am stocking most of my tanks with low ph fish! How does one attempt to measure TDS? Testing kit?

aXio
10-29-2015, 11:09 AM
That makes me very happy, as I am stocking most of my tanks with low ph fish! How does one attempt to measure TDS? Testing kit?

Easiest way is to get a $25-30 electronic TDS meter. Very simple to use. Or most LFS should be able to test it for you.

Tropical
11-02-2015, 11:49 AM
I found an explanation for this here in case anyone is interested: http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/municipal-water-softening

Hilde
11-23-2015, 03:40 PM
I found an explanation for this here in case anyone is interested: http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/municipal-water-softening

Anyone know what the Tap water ph should be for atlanta?
I tested mine and got 8-8.1, which shocked me a bit! I thought we had low ph/7....
That is what my ph was, even though my water was soft, when I started my aquarium in 2007. Read that occurs when the city doses the water with phosphates. Just tested tap water and it is 8.2. My 2-20 which have driftwood have low ph. One has ph of 6.2 and the other has ph of 7.2.

That is an interesting read. Shall save the info in a folder.

So have you done anything to lower the ph?

Tropical
11-23-2015, 04:24 PM
The site is very interesting, while not all completely true it gives some interesting insights.

Other than adding IAL, I've not added anything, as the fish should do fine. My ph when gassed out after 24 hours is around 7.6 and with 1-2 leaves per 10gallons, the ph is around ~7...

Have you added anything?

Hilde
11-23-2015, 04:56 PM
The site is very interesting, while not all completely true it gives some interesting insights.

Other than adding IAL, I've not added anything, as the fish should do fine. My ph when gassed out after 24 hours is around 7.6 and with 1-2 leaves per 10gallons, the ph is around ~7...

Have you added anything?
What is IAL? What leaves are you using?

I put coconut bark in the base of my substrate. I would have used peat but the coconut husk is a lot cheaper, $4. Sometimes I do water changes with distilled water from Walmart or Kroger machine. I bought most of my fish in the area so I figured they were use to the strange water.

Tropical
11-23-2015, 05:39 PM
Indian almond leaves, these lower ph, good for shrimp/plecos/bettas/dwarf cichlids. First 2 will "eat" the biofilm off them, bettas like to lie on them, cichlids like hiding out in them.

These leaves are also said to have medicinal properties as they release tannins in the water and MAY help cure fin Rot...

Also needed for breeding several fish, including bettas.

Only downside is they do break down eventually and are a bit messy(I like it, but some people don't).

If you want some, I bought them in bulk, I have lots. Pm me if your interested:)

Does the coconut bark not decay after a while?

Hilde
11-23-2015, 06:37 PM
Indian almond leaves, these lower ph, good for shrimp/plecos/bettas/dwarf cichlids. Also needed for breeding several fish, including bettas.

If you want some, I bought them in bulk, I have lots. Pm me if your interested:)

Does the coconut bark not decay after a while?
I have 2in of substrate on top of it. Thus degradation not noticed.

I want to breed killifish. So the IAL may help.

Demonfish
11-24-2015, 12:55 AM
IAL are supposed to have anti-fungal properties. Good for some types of eggs in soft water.

Tropical
11-24-2015, 06:56 AM
That's cool! What kind of killies?

Hilde
11-24-2015, 11:16 AM
Now have a pair of gardneri ‘Innidere killifish. Hope to get some Aphyosemion australe later.

Tropical
11-24-2015, 08:15 PM
Very pretty! I've kept clown killies before, (not annuals)...

Hilde
11-24-2015, 09:44 PM
The wood I have in the tank is probably what lowered the ph. For I have 3 tanks and the 1 with the lowest ph, 6.2, is the 1 that had a big piece of Mopani Wood in it.

That is a beautiful Betta in your Avatar. Where did you find it?

Tropical
11-24-2015, 10:01 PM
Thanks! He is my favorite for sure! Surprisingly, I got him at the Sandy Springs PetCo! I must say they take GREAT care of their bettas, and change the water in the cups weekly, besides offering a huge selection. Other fish also look really well, have had no issues with them.

Also the pic is when I first got him, about a month ago, I'll post a better pic tomorrow...