PDA

View Full Version : 55 Gallon Community Tank

macuserman
11-04-2015, 07:26 PM

I'm new to the forum, but I figured I would share a picture of my tank. Nothing fancy, just a community tank, we recently moved to the area and I've just been trying to get my tank up and running properly since the move. Plants have been having a rough time so just upgraded the light and added CO2 injection this week, hopefully they will start turning around soon. Nice to know you guys are in the area.

HN1
11-04-2015, 08:33 PM
Welcome aboard! Have you added root tabs for the plants? Please post update pics. I think it will look spectacular grown in.

macuserman
11-04-2015, 09:05 PM
Welcome aboard! Have you added root tabs for the plants? Please post update pics. I think it will look spectacular grown in.

Thanks! No I haven't done anything besides add the better light fixture, and CO2. I am still figuring out the whole planted aquarium thing. I know my substrate is not the best either, but it's going to have to stay the way it is for the moment. I'm certainly open to recommendations though from more experienced planted tank keepers.

HN1
11-04-2015, 09:16 PM
More light and more CO2 will need more nutrients. Root tabs may help. Also, I think there may be a couple of plants which actually need to be raised up out of the substrate (maybe attached to the DW). Java fern center right for sure. Not sure about center left. Do you know what plant that is?

There are plenty of folks on here that know plants way better than I do. Hopefully they will chime in as well.

macuserman
11-04-2015, 09:34 PM
More light and more CO2 will need more nutrients. Root tabs may help. Also, I think there may be a couple of plants which actually need to be raised up out of the substrate (maybe attached to the DW). Java fern center right for sure. Not sure about center left. Do you know what plant that is?

There are plenty of folks on here that know plants way better than I do. Hopefully they will chime in as well.

That makes sense more nutrients that is, I'll have to look into some root tabs I guess. I do have quite a few fish in there as well so hopefully that is providing some nutrients. As far as what plants are in there the Java fern is one of the few plants that I actually know the name of, I'm not an expert on plants and most of the plants were bought from places who didn't label them or really say what they were. I bought them because I liked the way they looked, I know not the best, but I'm still learning.