PDA

View Full Version : 40gal BR stocking suggestions?

Tropical
11-11-2015, 08:28 AM
Hey everyone, I have a 40gal BR tank I want to set up around Christmas, but I need some ideas... I definitely want cichlids, perhaps African. Here are some that have caught my eye:

1) PS Saulsoi
2) Rusty cichlids
3) Zebra Mbuna?
4) Yellow labs?

Last 2 I'm not sure if the tank is big enough...

Can any of these be housed together?

What about tankmates?

Thanks for any help!

Tangfan
11-11-2015, 10:14 AM
If you want the Africans to breed true, I would not mix any of the Psuedotropeus. These include the Ps Saulosi as well as Zebras. Rusty's are Iodotropheus which are similar species. Many of the Mbuna get very aggressive and territorial. Yellow Labs are more mellow than many of the Mbuna. Cynotilapia Afra are also very similar and have nice colorings, but I have also found them to be aggressive (mine are in a 75 and are constantly harassing each other). If it were me, I would possibly get some Saulosi, yellow labs, maybe some Acei and possibly some peacocks. Some of the Haplochromis species (I know Lake Malawi no longer has any haps associated with it, but I still call them Haps) might be ok, but many get to the 6" + size range when full grown. The Saulosi, even though they are a mbuna, stay relatively small so they don't have the size to be as big a bully as some of the other mbuna (my experience). I also have a tendency of keeping a Lamprologus species or a Julidochromis specs with Malawi fish, but I will admit, I am very partial to those types of fish. I should also say, even with my Africans, I always keep bristlenose plecos (Africans soon learn they can't bully them due to their armor and they help reduce algae scrubbing).

Many in the club currently have Yellow Labs. I believe Pierre is breeding some Acei. I have some small Saulosi (unsure if anyone else is currently breeding these). Many have various peacocks.

Hope this helps and I am sure that there will be many different ideas of what to keep and how to keep them. Everyone seems to have success in slightly different methods.

Tropical
11-11-2015, 12:54 PM
So you would put the Saulsoi, labs, and acei together in a 40gal?

I thought labs and Saulsoi would class as they are the same color?

Would rusties and Saulsoi work together?

Thanks!

Pierre
11-11-2015, 01:15 PM
The labs that I have would be too big for a 40G. I have in the same tank for rusties, labs and others with no issue. As long have you have some hiding places and many fish to diffuse potential aggressiveness, that should not be a problem to add the Saulosi.

oxheart
11-12-2015, 02:32 PM
personally for a tank that size I would go with some julies and perhaps one of the smaller lamprologus . like Neolamprologus büscheri Kachese blue. do some creative rockwork and would be a nice interesting tank.
Just a thought.
Rick

Tangfan
11-12-2015, 02:52 PM
Oxheart, great taste in fish. I agree, a 40b is better suited for the Julie's and Lamps. I typically keep my Malawis in 55 or 75s.

N. Buescheri Kackese are difficult to find around here, had to get the ones I have from Ohio. Leluepi would be a nice add, especially the orange variety. Any of the N.Birchardi complex give great examples of cichlid parental breeding behavior. N. Caudopunctatus is also a great, interesting fish.

Tropical
11-13-2015, 10:49 AM
N. Buscheri is the fish in your avatar right? Very pretty fish!

What are Julie's?

I'd prefer something not super expensive , or rare as this is my first African tank....

I'm thinking of rusties and Saulsoi, does that ring any warning bells?

Also how much of each do you all suggest?

For tankmates, what do you guys think about synodontis cats? Other than a pleco, any other ideas?

Thanks so much!

Tangfan
11-13-2015, 11:57 AM
My avatar is a N. Buescheri Gombi, or Zaire Gold (there are several different names which all look similar to me). The Kachese doesn't really have the gold (yellow) on the fins. The blotching is more in lines and there is much more blue in the top fin. I like them due to the coloration and the lyre tail fins the males develop.

Similar fish are the Birchardi Complex of Neolamprologus (there are several species in this complex mostly ranging around color and fin variations with different collection points in the lake - better off googling this to more in depth research) of which several people have them in the club.

Julies are Julidochromis. Species are Transcriptus, Maleri, Dickfeldi, ornatus and Regani. Some or more common than others. Smallest are the Transcriptus and the Ornatus (3" max size). Very similar body shape to the Lamprologus (torpedo shaped if you will). I have seen transcriptus and Maleri in the club (I personally got some J. Maleri several months back and have been growing them out to spawn).

Out of both Julies and Lamps, the ones that are most commonly saw in stores are Lamp Leleupi, Lamp Birchardi and any of the Julies can show up at various times.

Both Lamps and Julies are bottom hugging fish that like lots of caves and rock work. Many people keep some type of dither fish in with them that take up the upper areas of the water column (added movement keeps them feeling more secure). If your a purest and want to just keep Tanganyikans, you would use a Cyprichromis species for this (tanganyikan minnow if you will) or even better, Lampricritus Tanganyikanus (sorry for the spelling), a Tanganyikan Killifish (haven't seen that many of either of these in the club). I have both seen and kept these fish with some of the more mellow Malawians as well as Australian Rainbows.

Hope this helps.

Tangfan
11-13-2015, 12:02 PM
Sorry, only answered 1/2 your questions. I got distracted on Tanganyikans. Ooopps.

Saulosi and Rusty's sounds good to me. As for Cats, I have some S. Petricola in with my Saulosi (didn't want them in any of my other tanks and it seemed like a good place). S. Multipunctatus would also be a good cat for an African tank. My preference is the Multipunctatus.

I also keep Bristlenose Plecos in all of my tanks to help on algea maintanence.

Tropical
11-13-2015, 03:35 PM
Ok I am getting some shell dwellers soon so I might add some birchardi to the mix...

For the 40gal I think I'll do rusties, Saulsoi, BN, and synodontis....

Now the question is how many of each about?

I plan to set this tank up around Christmas, so I can do some more research.

Tropical
11-13-2015, 03:35 PM
Forgot to ask, what brands of food do you recommend?