PDA

View Full Version : Cory eggs!!!

Tropical
11-11-2015, 11:50 AM
Hi all, my cories were very active yesterday, and today I got to see them spawn and lay eggs! So cool! They are in a 20gal high with 15 guppies, and so far the guppies have had no interest in the eggs.

I took the plastic plant they laid eggs on and placed them in a breeder box with air stone beneath.

Any tips? Should I use methylene blue?

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/11/63c16a9115239421e6f2d5f1ad31ceff.jpghttps://vimeo.com/145416952

Tropical
11-11-2015, 11:51 AM
Btw, These are bronze emerald cories

Pierre
11-11-2015, 12:18 PM
My experience with breeding cories was to take the eggs out in a smaller tank / container with high oxygenation (air stone) and darker place to avoid fungi. Methylene blue would not hurt either. I can spare some if you do have any.

Tropical
11-11-2015, 02:00 PM
Thanks, I'll add some MB. What did you feed them, once they hatched?

Garfieldnfish
11-11-2015, 03:04 PM
I feed my cory fry crushed flakes, microworms, Banana worms and sinking pellets as they seem to do fine with the adults sinking food even if you do not add anything special for the fry. I have had hastatus, habrosus and salt and pepper cory fry and they all grew up without special attention. The hastatus cory eggs I just leave in the adult tank and they multiply without any interference from me. The habrosus would too but I have a ton of snails in their tank that think cory eggs are food. So lately I have removed the eggs and hatched them in a plastic container with some meth blue under the bathroom sink. Once they hatch they go back into the adults tank right away. My salt and pepper cory eggs would not survive in their parents tank and I have to be really lucky to catch it when they breed. They have to be raised to a safe size in another tank but again they eat what I would feed the adults and do fine with that.

Tropical
11-11-2015, 04:42 PM
Thanks! I put the fry in a bare bottom tank with a sponge filter and heater. Will keep it updated!

Tropical
11-14-2015, 04:39 PM
They've hatched!!

@garfieldnfish how soon would you feed them?

mountainman36
11-14-2015, 06:44 PM
give them a couple days. How big is the tank? they dont move much so they dont find the food that easily, so smaller is better. water changes every day or two for the first few weeks. decap brine shrimp and micro worms are god foods too

Garfieldnfish
11-14-2015, 09:02 PM
Yes, definitely a couple of days. Wait until their eggs sacks are absorbed.

Tropical
11-14-2015, 09:21 PM
Its a 10gallon with a sponge filter, air stone, heater and some Java moss.

Honestly that are super active soaring back and forth.....

I have sinking pellets or special fry food (from kensfish.com) and frozen baby BS...

Garfieldnfish
11-14-2015, 09:57 PM
A pinch of fry food can't hurt in a tank that size. Or a pellet and you will see if they go after it and if not your can remove the pellet in the morning if it is still untouched.
I currently have about 30 habrosus cory fry in a 5 gal with ramshorn snails (no heater, no filter just an air stone) and I feed them tiny crumbles (bottom of different fish food containers) twice a day but the snails eat the left overs so I have not done any water changes in over one week and the little corys have doubled in size. I should probably do a water change here soon, maybe Monday, but it won't be a large one, maybe 20%. BTW I have about 15 more cory eggs in a cup under my bathroom sink and the first 2 have hatched tonight. Looks like my 5 gal will get pretty crowded soon.

mountainman36
11-15-2015, 06:30 PM
Ill get those Hastatus sometime if i can Garfieldnfish...

as for the 10 gallon, thats fine. if they are moving a lot, then start feeding...the frozen BBS are great, and really any fine food...you will be in a ton of babies soon!!

Tropical
11-15-2015, 07:38 PM
Thanks I will feed them a little tonight and do a pwc tomorrow!

Caroline
11-16-2015, 10:48 PM
Whenever the Habrosus are ready, let me know. I'll want 12-15. I like keeping the smaller Habrosus in my Ram breeding tanks. In fact I keep Cories (bronze, pepper, albino etc) in all my breeding tanks, and have never had a problem with them eating the eggs. My Acaras just raised a spawn of about 400, as did my Pinoy Angels.
thanks!

Garfieldnfish
11-17-2015, 06:17 AM
Caroline, all but one of the eggs have hatched. They should be ready in about 2 months, but I also have adults that I am willing to part with if you do not want to wait that long.

Hilde
11-23-2015, 03:10 PM
I read that you had high ph. Did it go lower in this tank with the cory's?

Tropical
11-29-2015, 07:24 AM
I read that you had high ph. Did it go lower in this tank with the cory's?

Did you mean me? The ph is the same here.

I don't if this is normal, but I've been finding 2 dead fry every day, around 10 in total...

They're still in the 10gal, 10% daily water changes. Feeding 2x a day with sinking spirulina wafers and catfish pellets.

Is this normal?

mountainman36
11-29-2015, 10:07 AM
no - you need to do bigger water changes i think, 50% every day, or few days. 10% isnt enough, especially with feeding twice a day

Hilde
11-29-2015, 12:29 PM
Did you mean me? The ph is the same here.

In another thread you started about ph you mentioned that the ph was 8-8.1. did the ph started at 8.1 in the cory tank and drop after the tank cycled?

Garfieldnfish
11-29-2015, 02:06 PM
I don't know about the big water changes. All my corys seem do fine in the 5 gal and I only did one water change in the last 3 weeks. I will be adding about 20 more newly hatched ones tomorrow. I would add some snails to eat the left over food.

Hilde
11-29-2015, 02:19 PM
I don't know about the big water changes. All my corys seem do fine in the 5 gal and I only did one water change in the last 3 weeks. I will be adding about 20 more newly hatched ones tomorrow. I would add some snails to eat the left over food.
How often do you feed them?

Garfieldnfish
11-29-2015, 03:07 PM
Twice a day but very little. Recently I also started to feed them microworms and banana worms. They are in a well established planted tank. I might do another (maybe 30%) water change tomorrow before I add the other fry.

Tropical
11-29-2015, 07:25 PM
Hmm, I put the tank together rather quickly, but it has a cycled sponge filter, heater and air stone....
There are a few snails in there.
Do you have ANY dead ones? Or do the snails eat them ....

My ph is around 8 from the tap, and at 7.6 after a few days, with the almond leaves its around 7.2-7.4

This tank has no IAL so around 7.6

mountainman36
11-29-2015, 09:33 PM
Twice a day but very little. Recently I also started to feed them microworms and banana worms. They are in a well established planted tank. I might do another (maybe 30%) water change tomorrow before I add the other fry.

on my suggestion for the larger water changes it was because its a new not well cycled tank. plus lots of small fish, and several feedings often means they dont eat well, and there is a lot of food left over to foul the water. The cycled sponge filter may not be as good or enough. to confirm, test for ammonia and nitrites, that will tell you for sure whats up.

I wouldnt expect the same results with your tank garfieldnfish...plants make a huge difference, plus you are not feeding as much. Bare bottom tanks need much more frequent water changes in my experiences

Garfieldnfish
11-29-2015, 09:34 PM
If I had any dead ones the snails would have eaten them for sure. I did not see any dead ones but those fry are all over the place, so it is impossible to count them.

Tropical
11-30-2015, 05:56 AM
I'll test the water this afternoon, I'll see what it says.

Also it does have a lot of Java moss and water Sprite so that should help....

Tropical
12-15-2015, 01:38 PM
Time for an update! The Cory fry are doing great, there are about 45 left none have died within the last week.

There are about half that are huge, other half are still tiny....

@Garfield, Do you have that happen as well?

Garfieldnfish
12-15-2015, 04:29 PM
That is hard to tell as there are usually several batches in the tanks with the parents and I also added 3 different batches to the small fry tank. But from my past experiences with pleco fry there are usually a few that are pigs and grow quicker then the rest.

Tropical
12-15-2015, 05:13 PM
Ok I see..

How big is your fry tank? Do you have any pictures? I'd love to get some ideas!

Garfieldnfish
12-15-2015, 06:18 PM
5 gal. No filter just an air stone. Small pebbles as substrate and plenty of live plants, suesswassertang, java moss and dwarf vals. Tank mates are Ramshorn snails. I remove the larger corys fry after about 1 month to a 10 gal with a few pleco fry and 2 clown plecos.

mountainman36
12-16-2015, 07:16 AM
congrats Tropical. enroll in the BAP program. i never get to the meetings or i would have. Breeding fishes is a real challenge and i find it very rewarding,....ive done a dance several times when i get eggs from something ive been trying....lol

Tangfan
12-16-2015, 07:39 AM
congrats Tropical. enroll in the BAP program. i never get to the meetings or i would have. Breeding fishes is a real challenge and i find it very rewarding,....ive done a dance several times when i get eggs from something ive been trying....lol

LOL, I can just imagine the "Happy" dance... Recently, I have had several Lamprologus spawns and have yet to see ANY eggs. They have been hiding the eggs from me and all I have seen are the wrigglers or tiny free swimming fry. I haven't done a dance, but have enjoyed the pleasant surprise.

Tropical
12-16-2015, 11:17 AM
Yeah I might actually do that!

I think everyone gets REALLY excited when they see eggs/spawning behavior!!

Tropical
12-16-2015, 05:13 PM
Here's a video, a few look exactly like mini cories, super cool!!!

https://vimeo.com/149218157

Tropical
01-06-2016, 07:10 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/06/340f2732ac797cfe3b26dcd66abe8ce5.jpgAt almost 8 weeks old, I've got exactly 25 juveniles, I split them up into several tanks:

Parents are chasing each other and cleaning out sites to spawn, so looks like I've got a new spawn coming soon!http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/06/bfc35c55a398315b4f938c9a2e49937c.jpg