PDA

View Full Version : Angels spawned

Tangfan
11-16-2015, 09:27 PM
This is a new experience for me. My angels spawned today. I've never kept angels being mostly an African guy. Not even sure what color variety to call these guys.

Tropical
11-16-2015, 09:57 PM
That's super cool! Did they spawn in the glass?

Tangfan
11-16-2015, 10:01 PM
Yes, they spawned on the glass. Will be interesting to see how eggs survive. I have albino Cory's, Siamese algae eaters and assassin snails in the tank as well. All of which might try and snack on the eggs.

mountainman36
11-17-2015, 08:02 AM
they wont last unfortunately. when angels lay on the glass it usually means they are confused or bad parents and they most likely wont protect or will eat the eggs.
BUT its a good start!

Fidaelio
11-17-2015, 10:41 AM
they wont last unfortunately. when angels lay on the glass it usually means they are confused or bad parents and they most likely wont protect or will eat the eggs.
BUT its a good start!

So where would they usually spawn? mine lay on heater, filter and almost anything and then eat them.

Tangfan
11-17-2015, 11:11 AM
Would placing a piece of slate at an angle against the area of the tank they spawned help future spawns survive?

mountainman36
11-17-2015, 10:42 PM
its not always about where they spawn...its about tank mates and parental instincts. Most angelfish are raised separately from the parents - increased survival is more profits. I do it too. This breeds out the good parent skills. plus the parents spawn every few weeks, instead of two or three months raising the babies.

Slate is an excellent choice. be sure its wedged so it doesnt slip down. i use old pieces of tile. the smooth side. If you choose to you can remove the entire tile or slate and set it up in another tank, thats why folks do that a lot...makes it easier.
They may just be young parents too, and it may take a few spawns for them to get the idea.

Tangfan
11-17-2015, 11:03 PM
It's been over 24 hrs and the eggs are still there. Some have turned white indicating they are not viable. But those eggs account for under 10% of the eggs. Obviously I can't pull he back glass to put into another tank this go around. Parents appear to be doing a decent job defending the eggs right now.