PDA

View Full Version : Intro

Wade Lehmann
11-20-2015, 01:49 PM
Hello all,
My name is... Wade.

Just moved into GA (did High School and college in SC) from MD by way of NC which I moved to from TX.

I've been into aquariums for most of my life. I generally have kept reef aquariums for the past 14 years with a few years out, but I've also had a 240g African tank, a 240g planted tank, and others.

I'm mostly just tagging along for the ride, but I was referred to you by Gerald Pottern (of Raleigh Aquarium Society) while asking him about native plants and small fishes.

Thanks for having me!

mountainman36
11-20-2015, 02:52 PM
Hey Wade - there are a few folks into native fishes on this forum, some collecting trips are made too. Ask any question you may have
Welcome!

HN1
11-20-2015, 04:20 PM
Welcome aboard Wade!

Mog Carns
11-20-2015, 04:24 PM
Welcome to the south side of Atlanta!

Although we are a freshwater club, a good number of the members (not me) have salt tanks too. Of course, the Atlanta Reef Club http://www.atlantareefclub.org/ focuses on salt.

For big box stores, you have the Petco there in Tyrone south of the interstate on 74, or the PetSmarts in Newnan and Peachtree City. Their livestock is, as expected, terrible and make sure you quarantine anything you impulse buy.

Newnan to the west in Coweta County has a fairly well thought of Live Fish Store in http://the-fishgarden.com/ . They are primarily a salt shop, but the guy is knowledgeable.

Jonesburo to the east in Clayton County has The Fish Bolz. https://www.facebook.com/The-Fish-Bolz-318577738283980/ He has been open about a year, but I have not had a chance to go in there myself yet. Reviews are favorable.

The best opportunity to get to know people is coming up on the 5th of December at 1:30. AAAA is holding its holiday party at Athen's Pizza at 1341 Clairmont Rd, Decatur GA 30033 . It's about an hour from Tyrone.
Volunteers throughout the year are rewarded with a club currency that can only be spent at this end of the year auction.
There is also a White Elephant style gift exchange that is full of laughs even if you do not participate. If you would, bring a wrapped (under $20) gift... we nominally try to keep it fish themed!

aXio
11-20-2015, 05:21 PM
Welcome! If you ever get the chance, check out one of the club meetings! We have plenty of plant geeks here and a fair amount of native fish keepers as well.

Tropical
11-20-2015, 05:23 PM
Welcome to the club!

I didn't know there was a reef forum in Atlanta very interesting!

Tangfan
11-20-2015, 05:31 PM
Welcome to the club. We're all fishaholics here. Lol. Seriously, there are many knowledgable people here.

Wade Lehmann
11-24-2015, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the info! I hadn't yet searched for local shops, this helps give me a starting point.

michael wolfe
11-25-2015, 09:27 PM
Hey Wade, Welcome to Atlanta... I know Gerald very well. Great Guy. I am the Georgia Regional Rep for North American Native Fishes Association. Let me know if you want to get out in the water (well, I dont get out too much around the holidays, but we do get started to a pretty early spring in Feb or March). You are more than welcome to tag along on some NANFA events. Contact me if you are interested.

Wade Lehmann
11-30-2015, 07:25 AM
Hey Wade, Welcome to Atlanta... I know Gerald very well. Great Guy. I am the Georgia Regional Rep for North American Native Fishes Association. Let me know if you want to get out in the water (well, I dont get out too much around the holidays, but we do get started to a pretty early spring in Feb or March). You are more than welcome to tag along on some NANFA events. Contact me if you are interested.

Excellent thanks! I'll wait until the March time frame then. I am curious about the local environs and what is out there. Perhaps I'll start up the 180g tank and see what I can do with it in preparation.