PDA

View Full Version : Feeding fish over thanksgiving.

macuserman
11-20-2015, 03:20 PM
Looking for good ideas for feeding my fish while I'm gone over thanksgiving. I'll be gone Thursday-Sunday, so four days, can I get away with those slow release food bricks or something like that? What works for you guys? My fish are spoiled I always feed them frozen food, so I am hesitant to suddenly feed them garbage.....

Mog Carns
11-20-2015, 03:56 PM
Just do not feed them.

HN1
11-20-2015, 04:19 PM
I'd also advise to simply not feed them. Feeder blocks, even the improved newer ones, are more of a risk than they're worth. Your fish should be fine for 4 days. I used to routinely fast fish for a week or more.

Pierre
11-20-2015, 07:29 PM
Many fish (mouthbrooders) hold their young for 21+ days without eating... 4 days is totally fine.

aXio
11-21-2015, 06:24 PM
I agree with everyone above. If the fish are healthy they can easily make it 4 days with out food. In fact if you have some algae in the tank they will probably eat that up for you instead =)

I don't make plans to get any of my fish fed unless it's 10+ days. Some of my pleco species I will let go for 2 weeks or more if need be.

And yes please do not use vacation feeder blocks! Those can be very dangerous! If you are still worried about it I would recommend using a quality Autofeeder instead. Some of the cheaper AutoFeeders can be just as bad as the feeder blocks.

Jakub

Tangfan
11-21-2015, 06:49 PM
I regularly go away for 2-7 days with out having anyone feed my fish. Only issue I ever see is if there are small fry in the tank, they might not be there when I return from a longer trip. I never use feeding blocks or auto-feeders.

Hope all all this feed back makes you feel slightly better.

macuserman
11-22-2015, 05:34 AM
Wow! Thanks for all the replies I hadn't had a chance to get on here and check. I had no idea I could get away with leaving them for so long without food. I feel much better about my trip I've been kind of anxious about it. We are new to the area and I don't know people I can ask to do things like "fish sit" for me yet. :p

I really appreciate all the helpful responses!!

HN1
11-22-2015, 10:12 AM
Wow! Thanks for all the replies I hadn't had a chance to get on here and check. I had no idea I could get away with leaving them for so long without food. I feel much better about my trip I've been kind of anxious about it. We are new to the area and I don't know people I can ask to do things like "fish sit" for me yet. :p

I really appreciate all the helpful responses!!

Enjoy your trip stress free and have a happy Thanksgiving!

Demonfish
11-22-2015, 05:38 PM
Feeder blocks and autofeeders work, but never use anything you haven't tested while you were home to change water in case of overfeeding. Fish-sitters, esp. new fish-sitters are risky as they tend to overfeed by a lot. I agree that you should just leave them. If you are going to be gone longer and must use a fish sitter, get another fish person or leave only a measured amount of food in one of those weekly pill boxes.

Hilde
11-23-2015, 08:48 AM
Someone whom used a feeder block told me that it fowled the water up. When I went off for a week a used auto feeders. The auto feeder caused problems. So I just started feeding the fish frozen food a week before I left. If they are starving they will eat the plants.

I once posted a thread on how long fish can go without food. One told me that he had found a fish living in a filter he had put away which had some water in it after many months. They tend to die when overfed more so than from being underfed.

Larry Bugg
11-23-2015, 08:20 PM
I've gone two weeks without feeding. It is advisable to do a water change before leaving and don't feed after the change.

Hilde
11-23-2015, 09:04 PM
I've gone two weeks without feeding. It is advisable to do a water change before leaving and don't feed after the change.
That makes sense. I shall that save info in a folder.