PDA

View Full Version : Hard water nano fish?

Tropical
12-06-2015, 03:44 PM
I got 12 emerald dwarf rasboras(similar to celestial pearl danios), recently and I'm thinking about tank mates...

They will either go in a 10gal or 20H, not sure yet, I will keep them at a low temp(68-74F), and at a higher ph (7.4) and hardness.

I will probably add Scarlet badis (Dario Dario), but am looking for other ideas as well...

Maybe cories?

This is a dumb question, but would multis(Shell dwellers) eat them?

Demonfish
12-06-2015, 04:45 PM
Not likely the adults, but mulites could keep any fry from getting enough to see. They are meat eaters (mostly crustacean), so eggs and fish that fit in their mouths are on the menu. And they do eat big shrimp limb by limb. Some of the big male multies might eat an adult nano fish. A 10 or 15 long full of mulites is great little tank, but I would keep pH higher (8.5-9)

Tangfan
12-06-2015, 06:19 PM
Another tanganyikian which is good for nanos would be Neolamprologus Similas or Occelatus. Both are also different types of shell dwellers. I think various ppl in the club them. Both are similar to Multis in that they will eat anything they can fit in there mouth.

Pierre
12-06-2015, 08:24 PM
I would not put similis, ocelatus or multies with emerald dwarf rasboras.

You can add some plecos, endlers livebearers, shrimps, swamp guppy (Micropoecilia picta), pygmy cories.

Tropical
12-06-2015, 09:07 PM
I have never kept African cichlids, didn't think it would work with both, just thought I'd ask.

I'm trying to do the emerald as the centerpiece and then tank mates. Swamp guppies sound interesting, does anyone have any experience with them?

I wonder if a betta might work with these guys as well?

In the other tank(either 10 or 20) I was thinking about shell dwellers; but I can't make up my mind on which species.....