PDA

View Full Version : DIY - Internal Aquarium Decore

Wade Lehmann
12-08-2015, 12:32 PM
In conjunction with my question about building a DIY plywood tank, I've also been researching (and not finding much) how to build structure for use inside of aquariums.

Rocks, logs, roots as examples. Almost all public aquariums have them in their large tanks. Easy to clean and won't degrade.

But how are they made? If anyone has links to writeups, videos, or other specific info, I'd appreciate the share.

I can imagine there is a good bit of artistry involved (coloring, texture, proportions), but those can come after.

Thanks!

Tropical
12-08-2015, 02:27 PM
I think some are made with Styrofoam (like a 3D background), and coated with some kind of cement to hold it down, or siliconed to the glass...

jhw972
12-08-2015, 03:25 PM
Check Smooth-On's website for a tutorial on how to do this with some of their products. I haven't used those, but I have used the casting products and plastic casting materials. You can do some cool stuff, but making backgrounds won't be cheap.....

Hilde
12-10-2015, 12:36 PM
I think some are made with Styrofoam (like a 3D background), and coated with some kind of cement to hold it down, or siliconed to the glass...
They use Drylock to seal in the toxins from the cement. Google 3D background for aquarium and you will find a lot of info and instructions on it.

Example 1
http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/diy-do-yourself/161057-diy-3d-background-2.html
Example 2
http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects/diy-decoration/17.asp

Samong
12-11-2015, 12:24 PM
They are usually carved foam with a mortar of some kind (I use grout for reptiles, concrete for fish) as the top layer. Paint, seal with drylok, done! You should consider the project 100% permanent in aquaria; you'll need to silicone the foam itself to the glass so it won't float up/off. It's advised to fill the tank (with background) and test the water once it's had a chance to soak in. Depending on various factors the background can leach minerals for a time that alter the tank chemistry. After a few weeks and some water changes you'll be good to go.

I have fantasies about draining my largest tank and keeping its residents in tubs while I build a new background, but I never seem to have the room.