PDA

View Full Version : Stripping eggs from steindachneri?

peathenster
12-16-2015, 11:49 PM
Has anybody stripped eggs from Geophagus steindachneri? Need some advice.

Pierre
12-17-2015, 07:55 AM
Hello Pete,

I did three ways: separate the female in a "holding" tank until she releases the fry naturally (3 to 4 weeks), strip them after at least 2 weeks holding (to ensure that they can swim on their own) or use an egg tumbler if egg stage / fry are not free swimming.

To strip you can check youtube videos as it is the same as for African mouthbrooders. I use a small plastic coated paper clip to keep the mouth open, while holding the female in the water and gently stroking the "chin" to prompt the fry to be expelled. Some may be very willing to spit them out, while others may try to hold the fry especially the last one. When done, I leave the female several days in a holding tank so that see can gain her strength back before reintroducing her to the main tank.

Call me if you ave more questions.

Cheers,

Pierre

Tangfan
12-17-2015, 08:30 AM
I do in a similar fashion to Pierre on my Africans. I typically strip in the 10-14 day range. Will still see some egg sack left, but the fry are viable at that point and don't need to be tumbled. If I have miscounted the days and take them to early, I have found just an air stone in a small container provides enough turbulence for them at this stage.

My stripping technique is somewhat different. I just a finger to hold the mouth open (I have found I can judge the pressure better this way) and will "shake" the female repeatedly in a container of water. the movement of the female in and out of the water seems to flush the fry/eggs from the females mouth.

If you need help, since I am local to you, I can come over and help if needed.

Like Pierre, call if you need help.

peathenster
12-17-2015, 12:03 PM
Hello Pete,

I did three ways: separate the female in a "holding" tank until she releases the fry naturally (3 to 4 weeks), strip them after at least 2 weeks holding (to ensure that they can swim on their own) or use an egg tumbler if egg stage / fry are not free swimming.

To strip you can check youtube videos as it is the same as for African mouthbrooders. I use a small plastic coated paper clip to keep the mouth open, while holding the female in the water and gently stroking the "chin" to prompt the fry to be expelled. Some may be very willing to spit them out, while others may try to hold the fry especially the last one. When done, I leave the female several days in a holding tank so that see can gain her strength back before reintroducing her to the main tank.

Call me if you ave more questions.

Cheers,

Pierre

I do in a similar fashion to Pierre on my Africans. I typically strip in the 10-14 day range. Will still see some egg sack left, but the fry are viable at that point and don't need to be tumbled. If I have miscounted the days and take them to early, I have found just an air stone in a small container provides enough turbulence for them at this stage.

My stripping technique is somewhat different. I just a finger to hold the mouth open (I have found I can judge the pressure better this way) and will "shake" the female repeatedly in a container of water. the movement of the female in and out of the water seems to flush the fry/eggs from the females mouth.

If you need help, since I am local to you, I can come over and help if needed.

Like Pierre, call if you need help.

Thanks guys! I used a combination of your techniques, lol. I use the rounded end of a paper clip to open the mouth and over the fish back and forth to wash out the fry.
I found out two days ago that two of my G. pellegrini females were holding. Not sure when they actually spawned but probably not too long ago. I isolated them in two 10g tanks last night.

I was mostly worried about what to do with the eggs if I strip them early, like now, since another female ate the eggs when I isolated her a few weeks ago. These guys don't come around very often so I don't want to risk it too many times, but I think I should give these two females a chance.

mountainman36
12-18-2015, 08:22 AM
so when i worked at a fish hatchery we had an 800 gallon tub with mixed africans. every week or so i would scoop a few times and separate the holding females.
what i found was easiest to strip was to get the fish in my left hand and use my right to open the mouth with my thumb. then hold it with my left thumb. then i would dunk the fish in and out of the water a few times until all the fry were washed out. these were only 3-4 inch fish, and semi expendable, so i wasnt too worried about stressing them. i never lost any. if the fish were obviously holding eggs (i would look first) then id put them in a tank to wait another week.

The dunking action, on the pull up out of the water it would flare the gills and run water into the mouth, and out the mouth flushing the buccal cavity and i got all the fry that way.

if your method worked, id stay with it.

peathenster
12-31-2015, 09:32 PM
Well I decided to give them a chance, and it paid off for one of the two females. The other one ate the eggs early.

Sorry for the dirty glass. It's the first time I've gotten Geophagus pellegrini fry :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sc9fCoXNdo

mountainman36
12-31-2015, 10:42 PM
thats stinking COOL!!

peathenster
01-01-2016, 02:06 AM
Thanks :) I guess a lot of African mouth brooders hold for three weeks but most SA species only hold for a few days. Can't belive the size of the fry!