PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Photography - some minor issues, some advise please

mountainman36
12-25-2015, 10:17 PM
Hey Guys - i got a new camera for Christmas, its not a dslr, but its pretty nice. i have used a lot of cameras, and this one is the best, a lumix fz200.

my issue is i cant take close up pictures of the fishes. i would like to do that, but on macro mode, im too far away, and when i zoom, i lose the focus. im not sold on this camera, but i would like some ideas on how to take better pictures. its great in low light, which is one of the reasons we got it, but im stuck, at 12 inches all i can get is about 1/2 of the fish, i cant geta good up close focus. ether by zoom, or by macro setting....
any ideas?

thanks

HN1
12-26-2015, 10:32 AM
Disclaimer- I am a terrible photographer and unfamiliar with that camera.

You may need to use a macro lens in addition to the macro mode. I did a youtube search for "lumix fz200 macro" and there were a couple of videos that seem relevant. Sorry its not that helpful, but hopefully someone with better info comes along. Good luck and belated Merry Christmas!

aXio
12-26-2015, 03:34 PM
Sadly I have found that new cell phones such as Galaxy5/Iphone 5 or newer take aquarium pictures way better then most digital or SLR cameras. They just have such good color correction built into the phones now a days that the pictures just turn up cleaner and sharper in my experience.

Now with that said my friend is a professional photographer. He has taken some AMAZING pictures for me at the store... but he used tons of different lens and a lot of post processing was done in Photoshop after the fact to get to pictures looking they way the need to. It's a lot harder to photograph in saltwater vs freshwater because of all the blue light used.

djramsey
12-29-2015, 04:21 PM
minimum focus is 11.8 inches. But, close up lens filters do a really nice job.
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Accessories-for-the-Lumix-FZ-200-/10000000177766951/g.html for example
And they are not expensive. 11.8 inches is pretty far back for small fish close ups. But a close up filter screwed on the front could easily cut that down to 4-6 inches. Then you have more than enough pixels to crop to whatever you want for a closeup.
The key to pictures is to take a lot of them.

mountainman36
12-29-2015, 07:38 PM
THANKS David - i am looking at that now. i think thats what i need. yes i can crop and magnify, but it still gets a bit hazy.
ive found some for 25$ so it may be worth trying

Also - i was watching your youtube grindal video last night as a matter of fact. i need to get more grindals. they were great food for the fish.

thanks
Richard