PDA

View Full Version : Large pleco with young cichlids

NeoSHNIK
01-04-2016, 11:34 AM
Hey guys,

I have a 55 gallon tank with two 7" common plecos. Had them for about 6 years living happily with mbuna cichlids about their size. Now that the cichlids have been gone for almost a year, I am planning to put a dozen or two of young 1" mbuna into this tank. Will the plecos eat young mbuna?

Thanks!

Tangfan
01-04-2016, 11:58 AM
From what I've heard/read over the years, the answer to that question lies within the plecos. Some plecos as the get larger become lazy and will eat less algea and will start going after small fish. This doesn't happen all the time, but is a possibility.

You may want to get Cichlids in the 2+" size range to reduce the possibility of loss.

Hope this helps.

NeoSHNIK
01-04-2016, 12:05 PM
Thanks for your advice. Yeah, good idea. I really don't want to risk so I'm gonna visit about 5 different stores around Atlanta this week and see what's available in the 2+" size range.

Tangfan
01-04-2016, 12:51 PM
You might want to ask your fellow aquarist on here. After all, many of us do breed various Africans and you might be able to find more unusual fish than at most fish stores. I personally only have fry in the 1" range.

NeoSHNIK
01-10-2016, 12:25 AM
Here is an update in case anyone finds it helpful. I now have 22 small mbuna with two large plecos. I measured the plecos - they are 9" long. My mbuna are 0.80" to 1.5" long. The plecos are not interested in the cichlids at all.

mountainman36
01-10-2016, 10:47 PM
yeah...it shouldnt be a problem...the mbuna are too fast for the lazy plecs, and the dont want them anyway