PDA

View Full Version : micro air bubbles on fuish after water change

mountainman36
01-08-2016, 10:55 AM
So ive been seeing this on and off for a while, and never really worried about it.

sometimes i see tiny bubbles on the fishes and decorations after a water change. its not frequent, but happens sometimes. today, i moved my 90g tank to make room for the 125, and after refilling the fish are really stressed and have micro bubbles all over them. its slowly improving but a lot of the smaller fish are dead or going to die. its especially bad today.

any ideas what it is and how to prevent? on my fish room, i do 75-90 % water changes regularly, and its not a problem almost always...but on the display tank with plants it seems to be more frequent.

i know about the pressurized gasses etc.

today i refilled like i always do, from the tap directly into the tank with a hose, then added dechlor. I have been doing it that way for 20 years and its not an issue, but occasionally this happens. i cant be sure if its because the water going in was aerated, or NOT aerated...

anyone solve this riddle yet?
Thanks

jhw972
01-08-2016, 11:15 AM
This generally happens when the weather is colder. Colder water can dissolve more gasses. As the water warms up, it must degas those, hence the bubbles. The way to prevent it is to acclimate the water to the current tank temps before using. If you can use a holding tub before using, you can prevent it from happening. Moving the water and providing surface turnover is a big help as well.