PDA

View Full Version : Plecos changing colors?

awflip
01-09-2016, 07:12 PM
Hey all, I have two Rubbernose/Bulldog Plecos (L87B/L1444; Chaetostoma Formosae) in a 55 long planted tropical community tankn. Often, almost every time I observe them, about once-twice a day, I will see them change colors! I am working on pictures.

Their bodies are usually all grey. The tone of grey changes, sometimes it is a very light grey (rarely, almost beige/yellowish), but most of the time they are a darker coal grey.

Here's what really confuses me, though: They also have patterns across their bodies, which can change colors independently of their body (but not all the time; I've seen them one solid color plenty of times). Usually they develop horizontal lines across their backs, which only extend about halfway down their bodies on each side. Sometimes they develop dots of color on their noses; this is certainly different from the black dots covering their heads. In addition to all of this, they also have a yellow iridescent sheen if you view them from just right the angle. You can sort of see it in this picture (http://i.imgur.com/Ya4q0n2.jpg) (also note that her body is one solid color).

Does anybody know what would be causing these things? Are they good/bad indicators?