PDA

View Full Version : suggestions on new tank set up please

Gamedad
01-09-2016, 07:34 PM
I am in the process of setting up my 215g as a clown loach and tiger barb tank. (yes you read that right) Initial clown loach count will be 8 and barb count will be 20 or so. I am looking for a 3rd species to inhabitant the tank. Initial thoughts were 4 golden shark (Leptobarbus hoevenii) however upon further research I'd prefer not to get 4 fish that'll be 2'+ in length.

The aquascape will be river based, varying stone sizes from large 15lbs rocks down to 1-2 mm sand with driftwood and caves. I have the equipment to go from low/moderate flow (FX5 is the canister filter I'll be using) to heavy flow if all the inhabitants can handle it.

Heavy planting in this tank is really not in the cards, though a suggestion or 2 on a specimen live plant or 2 would be nice. I have 3 other planted tanks so I'd like a different look in this tank; the hardscape really needs to dominate.

I'm open to suggestions as I'm sure there are fish out there I'm not evening thinking of as possible tank mates.

Thanks!

mountainman36
01-09-2016, 09:40 PM
bala sharks, roseline sharks, rainbowfish.... pairs of dwarf to med cichlids..... distochodus, and prochilodus.....

Tropical
01-09-2016, 09:42 PM
Rainbowfish definitely sound nice!

A big Amazon swordplant, or a Red Tiger lotus plant would look cool!

Gamedad
01-10-2016, 07:49 AM
bala sharks, roseline sharks, rainbowfish.... pairs of dwarf to med cichlids..... distochodus, and prochilodus.....

I checked out prochilodus as I was not familiar with this fish. I think that is a good option. Bala sharks are also good but probably second to Semaprochilodus insignis .

I happen to have a Tiger lotus available. It's sitting in a holding tank with no planned use. I think it would add some great color to the tank. I don't believe they have a high demand for light so it just may work.

mountainman36
01-10-2016, 07:54 AM
Get a large one. they are algae eaters and dont always acclimate well. the prochilodus...

Gamedad
01-11-2016, 07:02 PM
TY mountainman36. Algae was mentioned in what I read but did not indicate it was a primary food source as I think you're suggesting. Perhaps let the tank season a bit before adding would be advisable.

Getting excited! Tank is filling with water! Lot's of hours Saturday, Sunday and tonight getting this thing put together. I like it but until it has water in the tank I won't be sure.

Garfieldnfish
01-11-2016, 09:44 PM
You need some type of pleco. BNs or rubberlips or in a tank that size even a common pleco would be fine. When I had tiger barbs I kept them with giant danios

Gamedad
01-14-2016, 06:44 PM
I think that is a good idea, hadn't even thought about a pleco. I really like the BN's and I'll grab an ornamental.

geotek
01-17-2016, 10:31 PM
What about the old standby of some anubias and javaferns tied to the hardscape? They both are tough enough to handle a strong current and are nearly maintenance free.

awflip
01-18-2016, 02:19 PM
I think that is a good idea, hadn't even thought about a pleco. I really like the BN's and I'll grab an ornamental.

If you're getting a pleco for algae, I would suggest a Rubbernose/Bulldog Pleco (L187A/B). I have 2 l187bs in a dirted 55 and I never have to scrape the glass in the ~10 months the plecos have been in there. I would love a BN but I don't have room :p

What about the old standby of some anubias and javaferns tied to the hardscape? They both are tough enough to handle a strong current and are nearly maintenance free.

Good point, Anubias/java fern on rocks totally changes the look of the tank. Makes it look a lot more natural imo.

If you're looking for just a few plants, maybe a nice large Jungle Val or Crinum would work as a 'centerpiece?'